Lyre Snake Care - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2006, 03:59 AM   #1
aliceinwl
Lyre Snake Care

I have a new juvie lyre snake (~1.5 ft). Does anyone have experience keeping these caging (all I could find said to set them up like a rat snake, so I have him in a standard snake cage: 10 gallon, tight hide, water dish, UTH, and aspen shavings), feeding, etc. I'd like to get him onto rodents so any tips on converting him would be appreciated. I have a lot of experience scenting and a diverse array of herps that could be pressed into service, are there any that you guys have found to be particularly "enticing". I'm going to give him a week to settle in before I attempt feeding.

Thanks,
Alice

Old 06-01-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
old guy
of course Lyers are

notorious lizard eaters. You will need to examine all possibilities of converting over to rodents. The Texas lyers are thought to be as bad eaters as neonate or wild caught grey-banded kingsnakes as to switching over. As you know also they are completely nocturnal with baro pressure maybe being a very big determining factor of feeding. At least in my observation. Did you say what species this one is ? Doesn't really matter as all lyers do the same. A heavily habitat type scenario cage appears to be the way to go on this species. I do know of people keeping and a few successful breedings in captivity. But to my knowledge and observation, they need quite a bit of room cage wise even as juveniles ? My .02,

Old 06-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Dennis Hultman
Alice,
I only have experience with a WC adult that I had for less than a month. I passed him on to someone else and haven’t heard anything further. I tried getting a hold of him today with no success. I do believe he was working with juveniles and may have some suggestions. I will try again this weekend if I don’t hear back.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
aliceinwl
Any info would be appreciated. I plan to give him a week to settle in and then offer a live pinkie (maybe I'll get lucky). If that doesn't work, I have a pet banded gecko that I'll use to scent a washed f/t pinkie. I also have night lizard that could be pressed into service. I know a guy who had a lyre snake that ultimately died, but he was able to get it to take tree frogs (I have a Hyla regilla and a H. cadaverina I can use for scenting as well). If this doesn't work, I'll get a lizard tail and stick in the mouth of a f/t pinkie and see if that works. If I still have no luck, I'll catch him a treefrog (and then try to get him to take treefrog scented) and if that doesn't work, I'll do the same thing with a side-blotched. I'm wondering if in terms of feeding, if it would be best to cup him or leave him in the cage. I've had good luck with cupping when trying to get some new snakes feeding or converted to rodents.

-Alice

Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Alice, I never heard back from the person I called. Did you attempt feeding yet?

Old 06-18-2006, 03:49 AM   #6
aliceinwl
The lyre snake didn't take the live pinkie I offered initially. The next week I offered a f/t washed pinkie with a piece of skink tail in the mouth and that disappeared Hopefully, it works again.

-Alice

Old 06-25-2006, 02:50 AM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Alice, did he take the next feeding? Have you tried again without the skink tail?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
aliceinwl
He didn't eat at the next feeding. I offered a pinky with a mouthful of skink tail and placed it under the slab of cork the lyre snake hangs out under again. This time, however, I used a large rather than a small pinky. The lyre looked like it might be going into a shed cycle at the time (aside from feeding, I've been leaving him undisturbed, and even then I just barely lift the cork to slide the food under). Provided the snake isn't shedding, I'm going to try again with a smaller pinky and the skink tail in a few days. If that doesn't work again, I may try rubbing it on one of the treefrogs and re-offering it.

-Alice

Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 AM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Hopefully he takes again after shed. Could you post a picture afterwards?

Alice, I meant to ask if you field collected this one and from what local?

Old 06-28-2006, 11:04 PM   #10
Dennis Hultman
The one I had was a Sonoran.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!