Australian Water Dragon Adults - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Agamids

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Physignathus
Australian Water Dragon Adults

I might be willing to let a few of my AWD's go if the right offer comes along. These are pets from my personal collection and not breeders. I will accept offers for them if I can not only sell for a reasonable price but adopt them to a GOOD HOME! Meaning that I am not selling my animals to someone who cannot properly care from them, or to someone just looking to breed them or resell them. I'm looking to adopt them to someone who wants one for a pet. I will only sell them after doing an interview about the setup, experience, and plans for them. The ones I am thinking about letting go are 2 males and 1 female that were all hatched in October 2007. None of them have been bred yet, but will be ready to next year. I have the paperwork for a clean bill of health from their most recent vet visit and all 3 are parasite free. Very friendly and tame with people too, have pictures of them eating out of my hands. I may also start breeding next year if anyone is interested in babies.
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Physignathus
The smaller male
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Physignathus
Larger male
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Physignathus
Female
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
nivek5225
Why are you getting rid of them? Do you have any videos of them, specifically of you handling/interacting with them? That would be a good way to get a good idea of their size, and temperment. That larger male is awesome! I would really love to get him along with the female possibly. Did you hatch these yourself?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Physignathus
That's the thing, I'm not sure yet if I am getting rid of them. It all depends on whether I can find a good home for them. I really don't want to, but it would make my living situation a lot easier as a very large portion of my paycheck goes to their care and their new tank upgrades set me back a lot. I was hoping to breed them this year and make back some of the money I've spent on their care by selling the babies, but I wasn't fully comfortable with breeding them yet as I wanted to be in a more stable financial situation first in the worst case scenario something happened and I didn't have a backup plan. I don't know how to upload videos, but I'll take some pictures of them doing what you requested. I didn't hatch them myself, but bought the female in October 2007 when she was just a few weeks old, and purchased the two males from the same breeder the following year. I'll measure and weigh them for you too. As for temperament, they all have their own personalities. I could talk for hours about their funny little quirks, haha. :P
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Physignathus
So were you still interested? I don't mind if you do want to breed them, I was planning on breeding the larger male and the female next year if I don't sell them to see if the female's orange stomach would be passed to her offspring. I trust you would be a good candidate for adoption because you are interested in seeing their interaction with people. I think I might have scared away any people that were looking by saying that I am hoping for someone who wants to adopt them instead of just selling them for the first nice offer lol. I know that is what this website is mainly for, but I see them as part of the family so this is hard to think about. Do you have any experience with Australian water dragons? They are a very low maintenance lizard, also being more resistant to a greater range of temperature. If you were interested in breeding them they will have a greater chance of success if they are brumated. The males have hibernated every winter, and both attempted copulation with the female during the summer when I placed them together. However, I seperated them as she would turn very dark in color whenever they "harassed" her. I would not recommend keeping the male and female together for extended periods of time because it definatley did seem to stress her out. The two males get along fine together though and have never fought unless food or the female is present. I have only seen them bob their heads at eachother so far because I keep their cages next to eachother. Also an amazing trait about this species is that they can be hatched according to temperature based sex determination. The breeder that I got them from is actually the one who discovered that.
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
albinoball
So what cage size would you recommend for one of your males?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
R. Eventide
You have gorgeous Aussie water dragons! They're beautiful and clearly well taken care of!!

Man, if only I hadn't spent so much on reptiles already this year.... I eventually want to get a pair of Aussie water dragons, but they're so hard to find....

Is the smaller male younger or just small for an adult?

Well, I shouldn't spend the money on more critters, but if you decide you need to sell them to make ends meet, feel free to PM me. I'm sure I could work something out. If you keep them and have babies next year, I would love some!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Physignathus
They are currently housed in 75 gallon custom built tanks, but will need larger ones when they get a bit older. The recommended minimum size on a breeder's website is 2'x4'x2' (BxLxH). Right now the larger male is 24 inches, the female is about 23 inches, and the smaller male is 22 inches (all are measured snout to tail tip). They can get up to 3 feet as full grown adults. They usually just sit in their basking spot all day, but keep in mind they love to climb and need a large water dish that they can completely submerge themselves in and swim a little. The "smaller male" is just a bit shorter in length and his head isn't as thick. I suspected that he was younger, but he has all of his secondary sex characteristics (which aren't really out yet in yearlings). He might have been hatched a few months later or something, I'm not exactly sure. He's also missing a toe as you can see in the picture, but it doesn't affect him in any way. They were all housed together by the breeder, so I'm guessing it was bit off or something.
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread