Male juvie thayeri refusing food - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
daner923
Male juvie thayeri refusing food

Hi all,

I've had my thayeri pair since the beginning of December. The female has an incredible feed drive, but the male is timid (only will eat if I leave him alone with the mouse) and has skipped the occasional meal. However, over the past 9 days he has refused two normal meals in a row, a first for him. He weighed just shy of 25 grams after his last defecation, and now has dropped to 23 grams. He seems interested - he drags his mouse around, spends a lot of time out hunting every day, but he won't eat it. Nothing has really changed in his care - heat tape under one end of his bin set at 86F, cool side usually in the ~73-75F range, water dish, two hides, aspen bedding, shed fine a few weeks ago. I was thinking it might be breeding season malaise - his tub is right next to the female's - but I'm not sure if he's too young for that. I've tried braining the mouse, putting him in a deli cup with the mouse (brained and not), but he still isn't eating. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know that 9 days isn't all that long for a snake to skip out on food, but it is coupled with some weight loss that is concerning to me.

Thanks!!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
mhaze
Just my two cents... I wouldn't be too concerned at 9 days. I wouldn't push it. When I have one skip a meal, I usually wait 5 days to a week before trying again. It could be breeding season malaise, but mine only seem to do that if there is a breedable female present. It sounds like yours are not mature yet. Wait it out, and try not to disturb the snake too much. I have a male eastern kingsnake who has bred this year that has only fed once since coming out of burmation. He's lost a little weight, but he usually gets back to pounding rats by April. Good luck! Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!