Hard freeze coming-how's your weather? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:24 AM   #21
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Is getting a propane tank an option? That's the standard where I live.
Yes, though we're in a bit of a weird situation with respect to installing them. We have deed restrictions that would prohibit a permanent setup, so no 500+ gallon tanks on a concrete pad would be allowed. A few homeowners have gotten around that by using the 120 gallon tanks on a gravel base for a "temporary" setup. When the tanks are empty they just load a pickup or trailer with them and head to the local RV place for fill-ups. They just have 1-2 appliances though, like a gas fireplace or an outside kitchen in a three-season porch, the whole house isn't plumbed for gas.

Our ten day forecast is looking warmer so we'll be good for a bit. Was looking online at kerosene heaters as backup heat just in case the power goes out and we don't want to deal with the generator running outside, especially if the weather is awful.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #22
WebSlave
Low temp of 19.0 degrees here last night. Supposed to be warming up but might still get down to the high 20s tonight.

Some of the citrus trees don't look very happy. Lots of curled up leaves.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:15 PM   #23
WebSlave
Actually NONE of the citrus trees look happy at all. It was just too cold for too darn long for them. Lots of curled up leaves on all the trees, showing their displeasure. So now the question remaining to be answered is were just the leaves damaged, or are the trees unhappy enough to die?

Probably won't be seeing that answer until they either start producing more leaves, or they don't in the Spring time. Sure would be a major disappointment for us to lose most of our trees we have been growing for years. This would be the rotten icing to the miserable cake that 2022 has been for us.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:13 PM   #24
WebSlave
The citrus trees look really bad. Might have lost three of the four satsuma trees completely. Others are trying to make a comeback, but there are going to be a LOT of dead branches we are going to have to lop off once we are sure there won't be any new growth coming from them.

And something really odd is manifesting itself from a couple of the trees. In particular the youngest pumelo tree we have, that I thought for sure was going to be big enough this year to be producing fruit. Looks like some sort of hair. Citrus tree hair, I guess. I have no idea what this is, but I am guessing it is not a GOOD thing at all.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2023, 07:19 PM   #25
WebSlave
Oh yeah, some pics of Connie's lemon trees that I took back at the end of January. They aren't looking any better today.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2023, 11:17 PM   #26
WebSlave
Most of the citrus aren't looking all that great. Some seem to be declining even further even though they started putting out new growth, that subsequently has been dying off too.

I am about ready to take a torch to it all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!