cage temp and humidity question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-21-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
COanimalhouse
Question cage temp and humidity question

I recently got a 3.5 mo old Chamaeleo pardalis male. He is doing very well, eating/drinking/moving around his enclosure. My problem is with the humidity levels. I can't seem to get the humidity above 50%. I use a drip cup twice daily and mist at least 3 times per day, usually more. I also have a humidifier running all day and night right next to his cage. He is in an enclosure made of aluminum frame and aluminum mesh 24X26X12 in. And he has a 6in variety ficus benjamina tree and bamboo branches to climb on. Any suggestions on how to increase levels to the recommended 80-90%?

Also, temps have been hitting record highs here. I have been keeping him in a room that has a wall air conditioning unit and his thermometer readings are between 78-83 degrees in there, but the rest of the house, including the room where I had planned to keep him is reaching temps of 91 during the hottest parts of the day. All of my books say that panthers should be kept in temps from 70's to low 80's and that it shouldn't fall below 70's, but what about the upper limit?

Lastly, I read that their basking branch shouldn't be any closer than 6inches from the heat lamp (which was sitting on top of the screen), but my chameleon likes to crawl up on the screen roof right below the lamp. I elevated the heat lamp above the screen for now, but does anyone elses chameleons do this and how can this be resolved permanently (right now I am using glass drinking glasses to elevate it)

I would love to hear from people, your experience is very valuable to me!

Old 07-21-2005, 06:28 AM   #2
DAND
I'm surprised that you are having such troubles. Your description of what you have done so far sounds like it should be working. All I can suggest is to try a pan or bowl (I use small kitty litter boxes). Put some towels in the litter box and add water, or you could use just water but cover the pan with mesh or screen to keep the Cham out. (They don't swim well and I haven't seen water wings made them yet)

Old 07-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Chris Anderson
I would be careful about putting a bin of water with towels, sounds like a great breeding ground for bacteria and a URI waiting to happen. The problem is your AC unit. Obviously you need it to control temps but that is probably what is giving you problems with your humidity. When you mist, how long would you say you mist for each time? You really should be misting a minimum of 5 minutes each session and I'd recommend significantly more. With decreased humidity levels or high temperatures, making sure they are well misted and hydrated is key. They can take somewhat higher temps if they are provided increased misting and hydration.

Chris

Old 07-23-2005, 10:00 PM   #4
Dave W.
Howdy,

Ferguson's panther book says that 40%-50% humidity works fine. At one time, I had been running a humidifier to get it to 70-80% but others pointed out the book's findings. So long as your critter is getting ample fluids daily, you will be ok if you can make it to 40%-50%. By the way, I was just in Englewood and then Colorado Springs all last week. I used to get to Ft. Collins a couple of times a year visiting Agilent Technologies/Loveland CO so I know what you mean about the humidity! It takes my nose several days to recover.

See Ya,

Dave Weldon
As of 9/2004 - 3 month old Nosy Be' Panther
As of 3/2005 - 4-5yr old and 2yr old male Veileds

Book Collection:
"Chameleons - Their Care and Breeding" By Linda J. Davison
"Chameleons - Nature's Hidden Jewels" 2nd Ed. By Petr Necas
"The Panther Chameleon: Color Variation, Natural History, Conservation and Captive Management" By Gary W. Ferguson...
"Thoughts for Food" 3rd Ed. Edited by Ardi Abate
"Understanding Reptile Parasites" By Roger J. Klingenberg D.V.M.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
romad119
There does seem to be a general problem of people OVER stating humidity levels for alot of animals. I've yet to own a pardalis, but at least with other animals (JCPs, etc) what successful breeders/hobbysists use, and what others sources recomend seems to vary alot. Definitely better to find out from people who have animals that thrive and what they use.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
COanimalhouse
Thanks for your help

Thanks for all the input. I have been away, so sorry it took me so long to reply. My humidity levels have been staying around 50-60%. I figured out the ac problem shortly after I posted my question. I don't know why I didn't think of that before! He seems to be doing very well and is growing and shedding normally. I moved him to the basement last weekend and temps are much easier to regulate now.

I appreciate everyones comments!

-Julie

Old 08-29-2005, 03:04 AM   #7
COanimalhouse
It seems I have offended someone (I got a comment on my reputation). I am sorry that it came across that I didn't want experienced keeper's advice. I was trying to communicate that I tried your suggestions, which were very helpful and useful and also that my cham seems to be thriving under your recommendations. People's input on humidity also helped my out and made me feel more comfortable about my humidity levels. Again, I never meant to offend anyone and I have already learned a lot from everyone's comments and experience.

-Julie

Old 08-29-2005, 05:40 AM   #8
DAND
Julie,

Don't sweat it. The important thing is your Cham is doing well. There are people out there who think they know more than the rest of the world. I too received a comment from such a person:

"Terrible recommendation. Unless you specify the need to change the towl almost daily, this is terribly neglegent advice".

This person is such a know-it-all yet is incapable of spelling negligent correctly let alone a word like towel, which a child in fourth grade would be able to spell properly.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #9
DragonCharm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Anderson
I would be careful about putting a bin of water with towels, sounds like a great breeding ground for bacteria and a URI waiting to happen.
I'd have to concur with that, you'd have to keep up on changing that towel out to avoid issues. While it's easy to keep up on it was great that Chris noted it so it doesn't get forgotten. Seems like you won't need it though since you've got the problem solved.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
Chris Anderson
DAND,

You may not like what I have to say but I still believe your recommendation was irresponsible and ultimately dangerous advice considering it was not properly contextualized with the necessary caution about the extreme risks of the suggestion. I told it exactly how I saw it in the reputation comment (that's what they are for) and in my public post explained the need for caution to the original poster. Sorry if you don't like my opinion, we're all entitled to one on public forums as are we entitled to scrutinize the views others post publicly.

Julie,

I accidentally put the reputation point on your post when I meant to put it on DAND's. I sent you a PM apologizing for the mix up, you are doing exactly what you need to be doing. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to post further questions.

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!