snake lost in car - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
rwest1
snake lost in car

i'm just curious where the most common place snakes wander off to inside your vehicle and how easy it is for them to find a way out. are there any good ways to go about finding them or tricking them to come out... ??

thanks.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
Traci1
i know someone whose lost an adult male corn snake in his car...he put some live mice in a small wire cage and put it in the car and eventually found the corn checking out the cage trying to figure out how to get to those darn mice. I believe he said the corn had been up inside one of the front seats?

Old 03-16-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Attila
Well, I had a friend who, years ago, lost a baby burm in his car. It was never found and eventually died - causing the most horrific odor you can imagine, especially during the summer months. It was unbearable.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:22 PM   #4
Mike Greathouse
There are hundreds of places a snake (depending on it's size) could hide within an automobile. Under the seats and up inside the dash areas are two prime locations to begin your search. Your primary concern should be heat or cold (depending on your location).

Besides using food as a lure, I would also put out some water.

Good luck with your search.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
Wilomn
Back in "the day" when I had my store it was not uncommon for people to get in touch with us about the snake they lost in their car.

One of the best ways to get one out is to roll up the windows and turn your heater on high. That will have them out and looking for a cooler spot in no time.

I know it SOUNDS cruel and terrible, but if you want to take a chance, try the mouses and water, it works as well.

Of course, it's NOT something you do and leave unattended for hours and hours. You need to check every few minutes to make sure you get your snake as soon as it's out. They RARELY get into a place that they can't get out of and in all the times it was utilized I know of no snake that was burned.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
DAND
There was this guy at a show I did and his Macklots decided to go under the dash. He just got a hold of its tail while two friends of his went to taking the dash apart in hopes of getting the snake out. I left after an hour and didn't find out the outcome.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:59 PM   #7
The BoidSmith
Whenever I've had snakes escape I've had good luck luring them into a warm area. Assuming she is still in the car you could put a box with holes and "duct-tape" a cobra heat mat inside on one of the sides (or the top). Don't put it on the bottom as she might get burnt. You will need of course an extension cord going out of the car and plugged somewhere in the garage. The animal will seek the warm spot, and you will find her either inside the box or lying on top of it.

Good luck!

Old 03-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
rwest1
well i'll give them a try, thanks a lot for the advise.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
liquidleaf
A little off topic but

speaking of escapees in cars....

I once bought 4 live mice to feed my snakes. Stopped at another store on the way home for 5 minutes, but one of the mice was some kind of freaky speed chewer and chewed one of the box's air vents open. Needless to say, when i lifted the box up when I got home - it was sickeningly LIGHT - all 4 were gone. I found and caught 2 when I saw that, didn't find the other 2 but figured that since I'd opened and closed the door a couple of times, they were gone.

The next morning I found one just chilling out on one of the car seats... snag. Ok, 3 down, 1 lost. At least I didn't pay for 4 feeders and take home NONE, right?

Heh - then, 2 days later, I was driving to work and felt something brush against my leg (I have an obscene number of keys and keychains, thought it was just that dangling down from my ignition) - went to scratch my leg and felt something fuzzy - then felt something on my foot - the last mouse, decided to come out and sit on my foot!

So I got my money's worth after all. Lucky! Well, not for them!

Old 04-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
rwest1
i actually just got her out two days ago, the car was really starting to take a turn for the worst smell wise so i got in there and tore some things apart to find her nested right under my heater, i wasnt expecting her to be alive but she's still kicking, just needs some TLC and i think she'll be okay.

i once lost a mouse in my car as well and wasnt so lucky, that made an odor but nothing like snake **** by your heater.

well i'm out

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!