(mis)information on the internet - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
hhmoore
(mis)information on the internet

A recent customer of mine told me she came across my name while searching Dumeril's boas online. Since I haven't been advertising in any way, I was interested. Before I came to anything associated with me, I found this:

Quote:
A dumeril boa is better to buy from a farm when it is a baby. The serpents of this species can live up to 30 years and even more. You are recommended not to feed the serpents raw chicken pieces from the grocery ? they may be inflected with Salmonella bacteria. Wild-caught rodents and other animals may carry a variety of parasites and bacteria for which the snake has no immunity. A dumeril boa is better to buy from a farm when it is a baby.

Dumeril Boa - farm, baby
The animals belong to the order of Squamata; family of Boidae; and the species is called the constrictor constrictor. These are actual terrestrial and arboreal creatures; they are about 10 feet, occasionally up to 15 feet and the weight of such a serpent is about 50 pounds. A dumeril boa is better to buy from a farm when it is a baby.
The above came complete with a picture of a baby yellow anaconda, right above the caption Dumeril Boa - farm, baby.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
CheriS
Harald.

Although I understand about the poor info above and also the photo example not being what it is describing.... and also that anyone can give info out (even if it is terrible) was there a relationship to your customer saying she was coming across your name or was that just for the reason you were looking up infomation? I did not see the relationship

There are website that tell people to feed their iguana's mice and monkey chow still or from supposedly top breeder breeders (they tell people they are anyway) to put baby lizards on calci-sand. Heck, even PetCo's resident so called corporate herp vet put that in their caresheets they hand out, the stores and owners follow it and are killing off baby dragons in mass...... yet even the best herp vets in the country are putting out books showing severe impactions photos or x-rays or what happens when it is used........ and they STILL keep using, selling and telling people to use it!!

People need to realize just cause it is on the internet, or they claim to be breeder, or even a vet, that does NOT make them right, expereinced, authorities or even having healthy animals... but it does confuse many new people, I agree there.

Not much you can do about it but get words out to others to research a lot and ask questions, learn who you can trust and who you can not trust.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriS
Harald.

Although I understand about the poor info above and also the photo example not being what it is describing.... and also that anyone can give info out (even if it is terrible) was there a relationship to your customer saying she was coming across your name or was that just for the reason you were looking up infomation? I did not see the relationship
Oops - I left out the explanation that I did a google search on dumerils to see how they found me. In scrolling through, that one caught my eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriS
People need to realize just cause it is on the internet, or they claim to be breeder, or even a vet, that does NOT make them right, expereinced, authorities or even having healthy animals... but it does confuse many new people, I agree there.

Not much you can do about it but get words out to others to research a lot and ask questions, learn who you can trust and who you can not trust.
Exactly, which was my reason for posting this thread...though I admit that, for some reason, my communication skills were not up to par & I apparently didn't express my point very well.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
CheriS
I thought that was what you meant, and it is understandable, I just wanted to make sure that this site with the terrible info was not implicating you somehow as the source! I have seen that happen when someone repeated something others had and changed a few words, that can be a disaster!

Old 03-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
The above came complete with a picture of a baby yellow anaconda, right above the caption Dumeril Boa - farm, baby.
Which site?

Old 03-21-2006, 04:31 AM   #6
hhmoore
Sorry about the delay in my response, Dennis. I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't find it again, lol. I have seen this particular site before and, at the time I posted, it came up on the first page of my google search (dumerils boas). I have looked a number of times since then and haven't found it (one day I went as far as 15 pages into the search). I'm sure it will turn up again, and when it does...
I'll post a link

Old 03-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Junkyard
Wow, that is great information(enter sarcasm here). I found the website:

Dumeril Boa Farm, Baby

You need to scroll down a bit, but the wrong information is there.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #8
hhmoore
Yup - that's the one. I wonder why it hasn't been popping up on my searches.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #9
Junkyard
It was not hard I found it on my first try, I just googled "Dumeril Boa - farm, baby" and it popped right up as the first link. I can easily explain why the information is wrong with typing one line:

GotPetsOnline.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!