Cow Retic Neurological Issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
Jonathan.P
Cow Retic Neurological Issues

It seems as though genetic defects within the retic breeding world are kept under wraps. I have a cow retic that is displaying neurological issues (corkscrewing, stargazing, wobble, etc.). I am taking them to the vet to rule out IBD or other viral infections but I wanted to pose a question to you all:

Has anyone seen this in cow retics or heard about it happening with this genetic combo? From my research, the Jaguar gene is the only one that has been openly documented as having neurological issues attached to it. Wanting to know which morphs and breeding combos to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

- Jonathan

Old 01-09-2022, 07:45 PM   #2
bcr229
No I have never heard of the cow morph having issues.

How long have you had this snake?

Old 01-09-2022, 07:51 PM   #3
Jonathan.P
I literally just got them on Thursday (1/6). Spoke to everyone who owned the snake going back to the breeder, and they all say they didn't notice it. In its enclosure it seems fine, but once they're out and hanging from your arm the corkscrewing is very severe. Also, he misses when striking at food.

They have a horrible mite infestation so I am taking them to the vet to rule out some kind of viral/infectious diseases. Really hoping it's not IBD. I got a 1.1 and the female has mites as well but is showing no signs of the neuro problems.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #4
bcr229
If they have mites I wonder if someone tried to treat them for it, and now the cow has permethrin poisoning as that can cause neuro issues.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:59 PM   #5
Jonathan.P
That is a possibility. When I mentioned the mites they said they had no idea, but at this point they've lost all credibility with me so... Reached out the the breeder and he never noticed anything. My mind jumps to IBD (seeing as it's generally understood to be transmitted via mites), but I am not too sure how common IBD is in American collections (may be just my luck). If it was genetic I'd be more at ease, but it's good to know that there aren't any know problems with the cow morph.

Like I said, the female is completely fine. They're both quarantined until I figure out what is going on. They're both eating fine and I am treating them for the mites. Vet visit this week to do labs and get to the bottom of this whole thing.

Thank you for your knoweldge!

- Jonathan

Old 01-09-2022, 09:17 PM   #6
bcr229
They should be in QT for 90 days after you stop finding mites, just to be safe, so you're looking at 4-5 months in isolation.

Old 10-14-2022, 08:36 AM   #7
sgtstinky
Inbreeding is not a healthy practice but yet the hobby seems to be more focused on producing aberrant traits than caring for their snakes. We are now producing poodles and goldfish. Every time I see someone brag about a new pattern/color morph I cringe, they do not look "cool", in fact they look sick as in unhealthy and the promotion of aberrant traits makes the breeder/owner look stupid. I will have no part of it and I will no longer be OK with promoting inbreeding for the purpose of producing silly looking snakes.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #8
Zhunter25
I can not agree with you more, I have seen people who had a scaleless ball python which already is a terrible morph and they bred the father to the daughter to speed up production and make more money faster. I just don't have any respect for most ball python breeders anymore, they only care about money and not the health and well-being of the animals.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:18 PM   #9
Socratic Monologue
Not sure why you two think these comments are appropriate in this thread.

The OP is clearly concerned about health and also concerned not to perpetuate problematic traits. Credible causes offered so far have nothing to do with inbreeding. Throwing generalized insults and evidence-lacking attributions of motivations into a thread that is a request for assistance for the health of an animal is very bad form.

Jonathan, any update on the snake's condition?

Old 10-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #10
sgtstinky
"It seems as though genetic defects within the retic breeding world are kept under wraps."

Just in case you missed the first line

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
cow retic, genetic defects, reticulated python, wobble