Got my freebie! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
StinaUIUC
Talking Got my freebie!

As some of you know my newest gecko, Brook, arrived with a kinked tail and bent legs, when I notified the seller (Jim Larsen) he offered to just send me another gecko! He didn't just send me a random gecko, it actually looks like he went through the trouble to find another one that looks a lot like Brook...she's super hypo tangerine, has big spots on her head, and has coloring that extends onto her feet. Really the only thing she doesn't have is an actual carrottail, although she does have some orange at the base. I am pleased beyond belief!! Anyway...here's some photos of the newbie (they're not very good...)!

Old 01-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
Manhattan Herps
very nice, im actually thinking about buying a nice super hypo female from Jim also

did you have to give brook back? im not sure i read that correctly

Old 01-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
StinaUIUC
I do get to keep Brook! I did not get to choose this gecko though, so I think he tried to pick one he knew I'd like, and he did that by picking one like Brook. I like Brook better though....lol I would definitely recommend getting a gecko from Jim!...Brook does have the leg thing going on...but I think its probably just a fluke...this one looks perfect! (besides scaring the crap out me....I thought she was dead!...I went to check on her and she was laying perfectly still...so I touched her...and she didn't move AT ALL...she was STIFF...it was wierd...then I picked her up and she started moving...lol) At any rate...the only thing you should know is that he ships oddly...both geckos arrived in a box lined with bubble wrap, filled with shredded paper, and in small snake type fabric bags directly on top of a heat pack. They both arrived just fine (a little cold but not freezing...heat packs were still warm).

Old 01-05-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
what the...?????

Quote:
At any rate...the only thing you should know is that he ships oddly...both geckos arrived in a box lined with bubble wrap, filled with shredded paper, and in small snake type fabric bags directly on top of a heat pack. They both arrived just fine (a little cold but not freezing...heat packs were still warm).
OMG!!! If that's the way they were shipped in the dead of winter, then I find it miraculous that both geckos arrived alive!

Old 01-06-2005, 12:35 AM   #5
Sarah H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
OMG!!! If that's the way they were shipped in the dead of winter, then I find it miraculous that both geckos arrived alive!

I have to agree, with bubble wrap for insulation

I don't feel it is safe have them directly on the heat pack either, when packed corectly anyway, but i guess since their was no insulation for it to get too hot.....

either way I'd have a fit if someone shipped to me like that.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:18 AM   #6
StinaUIUC
As far as the cloth bag...I actually don't think that is a bad thing, as it would prevent any impact injuries that could occur in a deli cup (which is how Blinkers tail was believed to have gotten kinked). I don't think he should have put the bags directly on top of the heat packs (which he only used one in each box...he should have used more) though or packed the boxes with just shredded paper and bubble wrap...but both geckos arrived alive and apparently unharmed (he did ship Fed-Ex priority overnight...so they were only in transit for about 17 hours and probably didn't sit in any one place for long), so I can't complain.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
Xelda
Whoah... There is never any reason to not use a styrofoam-insulated box when shipping reptiles. For the winter season, it's even more crucial. Keeping them in a snake bag is just unbelievable. There's no justifying it no matter how you look at it. How easy would it have been to crush a box like that? With that type of shipping, I know not to ever buy from Jim.

Stina, I think after you get more experience receiving animal shipments and seeing all the different ways people package their animals, you'll get a better idea of what's good and what's not. A good packing job would have them in well-ventilated deli-cups with paper towels padded down on the bottom so they can keep a grip while they're in transit. Marcia adds shredded paper into the deli-cups to keep the leos from getting jostled around. There's still room for them to move a little bit, but they've got secure cushioning in all directions. And Robin practically builds a thick mattress spread of paper towels that covers the bottom and sides of the deli-cup to protect the leos from impact.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:38 AM   #8
Manhattan Herps
thats exactly how Wendy shipped out that dragon to me..except no heat pack...wow..this makes me really hesitant to purchase a leo from him, i would'nt want the leo to be injured during shipping...i'll have to talk to him about that, and maybe show him codys page on how to ship

after seeing how that dragon was shipped i was in shock..and the bex was crushed on one side, surprised the dragon even lived though it..

Old 01-07-2005, 01:40 AM   #9
Manhattan Herps
Box** Through**

Old 01-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #10
StinaUIUC
I honestly don't see how the bag is a bad thing...the rest of I agree with...but could someone explain to me why the bags are bad? The way I see it if a box is crushed with a deli cup in the deli cup will probably get crushed too, along with the gecko, and the cup won't regain its shape...and if the cup isn't crushed completely the lid would probably come off and allow the gecko to escape into the rest of the box. In a bag the geckos has more space to get out of the way in the event of box crushing, and the bag won't get bent or broken or let the gecko loose. Again, I do agree with the other concerns...I e-mail Jim to let him know that he might want to ship differently in the future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!