Server move early AM 08/12/08 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
WebSlave
Exclamation Server move early AM 08/12/08

Apparently my server guy has been having some severe issues with the server (and fortunately isolating them from me) that he feels can only be resolved by ditching the server and moving to a new one. He is in the process of setting up the new server now and plans to begin moving this site (and others) to the new box approximately at 3am EST.

Not sure how long we will be down. If he has started copying the databases already (which takes MANY hours), then quite likely this message will not be on the new server when it comes up.

So please bear that in mind. If your messages get lost over the next 12 hours or so, it is because they got dropped during the server move.

If the problems STILL persist, showing it to be a problem at the data center and not the particular server, then he already has a new data center lined up for that eventuality. Yeah, major pain in the ass, but thank GOD he is doing it and not me. I should have hired a server admin a LONG time ago.

So bear with me. This isn't any picnic for any of us.....

Old 08-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
WebSlave
Yeah, I know the site is REAL sluggish right now.........

My server admin is still in the process of doing the server move. This site is too big to do with automated scripts, so the manual process is taking longer.

Plus he told me this server we are now on has failed completely a few times during this move. So I think he is trying to beat the clock before this server just gives up the ghost permanently.

Just another day in paradise around here........

Old 08-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
TheFragginDragon
Chin up Rich! At least it isn't another case of DOS attacks.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
WebSlave
Actually, a DDoS attack might be easier to mitigate now. The guy who pulled this site out of the fire during that DDoS attack is my new server admin...

Old 08-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
WebSlave
OK, I don't know what the hell is going on..... I believe we are back on the old server. Apparently my server guy went with MySQL5 on the new server, and this old software is not compatible with that newer version. So strange things began happening, and I suspect the database got corrupted. It looks like the banner ads are still not working, and who knows what the hell else is broken.

I'm about ready to dig up the underground Comcast cable bringing internet into my house, cut the son of a bitch and be done with all this.........

Old 08-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
OK, I don't know what the hell is going on..... I believe we are back on the old server. Apparently my server guy went with MySQL5 on the new server, and this old software is not compatible with that newer version. So strange things began happening, and I suspect the database got corrupted. It looks like the banner ads are still not working, and who knows what the hell else is broken.

I'm about ready to dig up the underground Comcast cable bringing internet into my house, cut the son of a bitch and be done with all this.........
It will get better Rich, I am sure the bugs will all get worked out.

I will say though, all the posts made by me in the last two days have now went poof though. I guess his backup was a few days old.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
hhmoore
Weird stuff happening, Rich.
I've received multiple email notifications of posts added to threads, but when I come to the site...none of them are here.

And, Bobby, not all your posts have poofed...the one you made saying they are gone is here

Old 08-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
WebSlave
Yeah.... I think the site came back online around 3:30am EST or so, because I hit the sack thinking all was well after 4am. Then when I got up, EVERYTHING was dead. So any posts made roughly from 1am or so till whenever it died this morning are gone. I have to assume that the database over on the new server is corrupted and cannot be used. So when the server admin gets the MySQL issue resolved, this database will have to be copied over to the new server.

The problem is that this software is too old and not compatible with MySQL5. Apparently new server setups now ONLY come with version 5, and the my server admin wasn't aware of that. The catch-22 of this is that this server has some issues, we can't move to the new server because of the MySQL problem, and my programmer can't really start the upgrade (which will be a pretty involved process) until the server issues are resolved.

IF my admin guy can get the new server running with MySQL4, then he can move this site over there. If not, then I will have to see if my programmer can get the upgrade done POST HASTE, perhaps in plain vanilla version without the custom mods.

Oh yeah, did I happen to mention that I have a few thousand new baby snakes to take care of and Expo is coming up?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Oh yeah, did I happen to mention that I have a few thousand new baby snakes to take care of and Expo is coming up?
And I start to feel overwhelmed when I get to around 150 babies...as much due to to the impact on my living space, as the time & labor requirement. Worse than taking care of lots of babies is trying to sell the darned things (for me, at least - I tend to tire of the interactions fairly readily, and start pulling ads...counter productive, I know, but good for my state of mind).

On a lighter note, I almost edited your post, lol (damn Edit button right next to the Quote)

Old 08-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
And I start to feel overwhelmed when I get to around 150 babies...as much due to to the impact on my living space, as the time & labor requirement. Worse than taking care of lots of babies is trying to sell the darned things (for me, at least - I tend to tire of the interactions fairly readily, and start pulling ads...counter productive, I know, but good for my state of mind).

On a lighter note, I almost edited your post, lol (damn Edit button right next to the Quote)
You should get zapped every time you hit that button! LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!