Building a new business/a reputation - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Focal
Read the BOI... religiously

I've learned most of my do's and don'ts from there. Learn from the mistakes of others and what others did right.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
kcw1099
I am in basically the same situation, this season will be the first time I offer animals up for sale. I know it takes time to build it up so I not worried about that. Just do the best that I can. Just wanted to offer up some help to any of the newbies like myself on here. If u need any banners or graphics to help you out just get in touch with me and I'll help u out with them. Not looking to charge for them just trying to help out. Within the next two months I will also have up a silk screening shop so I'll be able to offer shirts, etc. If needed. Good luck to everyone.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
JayCee
I've sold a lot of normals on craigslist. When they show up to purchase their normal, I also show them an assortment of some of the other things I have available.

This gets word spread. I've sold stuff to a friend of a friend that bought a normal from me 2 years ago.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
I've sold a lot of normals on craigslist. When they show up to purchase their normal, I also show them an assortment of some of the other things I have available.

This gets word spread. I've sold stuff to a friend of a friend that bought a normal from me 2 years ago.
I would be careful of that. I've seen people do that and come home to a bunch of empty tubs and a broken window. I did that for a while and its great to meet new people and talk about snakes, don't get me wrong, but eventually you'll run into a random craiglister and stealing your snakes might cross their mind. Of course most people say they have guns or big dogs, but I never met a rational crackhead LOL

Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
JayCee
My wife had concerns about that as well. No one goes past the entrance to the home.

As my collection value has increased, so did my protection. Have always had ADT, but now actually have bars on window to snake room as well as seperate lock to snake room entrance door.

I guess the safest way would be to "meet" somewhere closeby (big public parking lot).

Old 11-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
SpitZu
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
I guess the safest way would be to "meet" somewhere closeby (big public parking lot).
That's what I do for all of my rat sales. It's a pain, but it's better than letting a bunch of random Craigslist people near my house.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
BaltimoreBees
Yea, I have done Craigslist beforebut the people on the Baltimore one constantly flag anybody who mentions the word breed/bred. They don't care if you're just doing it for a hobby or not. I've seen other counties leave it alone, but Baltimore is terrible. One time we had two pythons needing new homes that we rescued from deplorable conditions, and paid for them that I made the mistake of telling somebody that we bred and that these needed to be rehomed as they were rescues and they began flagging any ad I would put up. It's very irritating. The one dude I did meet proceeded to call me a "flipper" (publicly on CL) after I refused to sell my blood to him. Thank god I didn't meet him at my house or near it. Thanks guys!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #18
Dbz4246
I am new to the hobby as well, this season should be the first for me to have clutches. But I have spent a lot of time on the net trying to let people know I exist, its slow going but its getting there. I started attending local shows and talk to all the breeders there, they may not recognize my name but they recognize the face and that says something to me. I have shared a table with a buddy of mine to help out and see how its all done. I have done multiple trade deals and meet new people that way.And when I am able to finally start selling off some babies, I can start getting my name out there. Its a gradual process that takes time and isnt easy, but in the end when you can confidently represent your animals that you produced, I believe people will notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
I recently passed on selling my snakes to 2 differant people because I was not confident of the care they would receive. I instead opted to trade with 2 people who after some conversation felt the animals would be in good hands.
I have done this as well, actually I had some guy the other day call me and offered some things for trade, Iphone... gun... blood... yea I said no thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
Becoming a FedEx Certified shipper is a great idea, and I'm not trying to deter you from doing it, but in the mean time ShipYourReptiles is an option as well. I've been using them instead of going through FedEx my self since SYR offers insurance. Just wanted to point that out in case you didn't know
I have yet to ship anything yet, but I have some shipping supplies just in case. And SYR so far is awesome, and I love the insurance that comes with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzualsuspect5 View Post
I have done Craigslist beforebut the people on the Baltimore one constantly flag anybody who mentions the word breed/bred.
Happens all the time.... I have to post in bigger cities about an hour and a half away so my posts dont get flagged. Sorry, I dont want to sell an animal thats worth 200 for 40 bucks to someone who doesn't even know what it is, may just be me

Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #19
Randy F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
I would be careful of that. I've seen people do that and come home to a bunch of empty tubs and a broken window. I did that for a while and its great to meet new people and talk about snakes, don't get me wrong, but eventually you'll run into a random craiglister and stealing your snakes might cross their mind. Of course most people say they have guns or big dogs, but I never met a rational crackhead LOL
never let anyone see where you keep your animals unless you know them very well. For those of you who know of Jon's Jungle, Jon keeps his snake building VERY secret. Even to people that are VERY big names that he has done business with for years. Even if someone doesn't break in and steal.........upset some idiot enough and all it takes is a little bit of liquid encouragement, broken window and some bug bombs and you could be wiped out. People are really that stupid.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!