Building a new business/a reputation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
BaltimoreBees
Question Building a new business/a reputation

We are new to the business aspect of snake breeding. We have had them for a while but have only sold a few snakes, mainly to friends. Anyway, when we have tried to sell a snake, to people who do not know us, they will ask a bunch of questions (to which I am more than happy to answer), say they want the snake, than decide they want the name of the breeder and I tell them us/Baltimore Bees, and that's when they say they have no idea who we are and that they have never seen us at a show (we've only had 1 clutch so I didn't see any reason to do a show considering we had only planned on selling 2 of the babies) so they have no interest in the snake (despite the fact the VAST majority of our stock is from notable breeders such as Boa Barn, Ian G, 8-Ball, etc...). All of our snakes are absolutely healthy (babies and adults, I produce accurate pictures and each snake comes with it's egg shell if buyer wants it) and I won't sell any animal that I feel shouldn't be going to a new home (we have a close friend who's a vet so any inkling of something wrong the snake gets taken in and I am making a habit of a few meals and 2 sheds before selling).
What I've been curious about is maybe we should do a show with our next clutch and take some of our breeding stock up there so we can say "hey! This is who we are and these are our animals". I'm not quite sure how to start getting our names out there other than that and continuing to try to frequent Fauna and BP Forums so people get to know us. I even did a Facebook page and was thinking a blog might be cool as well. My other thought was lower prices but that would than mess with the snake market and that's not a long term solution. Plus I would worry people would think were selling them so cheap for illegitimate reasons.
I know building a reputation takes time, especially a good one. I want to be known for producing top knotch bumble bees with minimal wobble as well as things that hasn't been done (that's everybodys goal, right ) any ideas from you guys is greatly appreciated as I know the vast majority of frequenters are top knotch breeders- aside from a few names I won't mention that are on the "DNSOBF" List. But anyway all ideas are a great help! I'm sure there are others struggling with this same problem.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
JudyC
I don't sell snakes myself, but as an admin of one of the larger sites, I have watched a LOT of "breeders" come and go over the years. So based on that background, I'll tell you what I think...

You're right that it takes time to build a rep. How much time it takes really depends on the individual.

We've all seen "big" businesses that seem to come up out of nowhere all of a sudden. How do they do it? They spend a LOT of time online, with big flashy banners in their signatures linked to fancy websites and they talk a LOT about their "business" as if it has always been there. Personally....the flashier they are and the "bigger" they talk, the less I'm likely to trust them. In MY mind, they still have to work for their rep...but many will see the flash and listen to the patter and assume they've been around for years.

The best way (in my opinion) to build your rep is with a steady and reliable presence on the 'Net. Create a business banner to have in your sigs...link it to a nice site or FB page so folks can get to know your business name and have a way to look up more about you. But most of all....just be present...willing to help out. The more time you spend helping and simply being a positive member of the community, with your business name associated with such participation, the more your rep will grow.

If you can get a shirt printed with your business logo on it....wear it to shows...be social...get to know the vendors there. If you're friends with a vendor, maybe you can share a table at a show if you just have a handful of snakes to sell. I think getting a whole table if you only have one or two clutches of ball pythons to sell is not a productive use of your time or resources....but sharing a table can be.

Lastly...just be patient. Even the biggest names in the biz have to deal with customers who browse and show intent to buy...then back out for any number of reasons. Happens ALL the time. You're being new is just one more "excuse" they might offer for backing out of the deal. Having a good rep won't stop those sorts of excuses though.

In short.....be a positive presence...use graphics and websites to connect your business name/logo to your presence.

Good luck!!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
hhmoore
I agree with Judy....and I'll add one other point.
Don't be offended that some people don't want to spend their money with you until you have built a reputation and can offer solid references. I'm one of many people that will rarely consider purchasing from somebody unless we have an existing business relationship, or somebody I know and trust gives them a . I don't necessarily accept references from members of this (or any other) site - regardless of how much respect I might have for their opinions - because the bottom line is they are nothing more than names on a screen. I can't tell you how many snakes I have had to pass on since I adopted this policy....but I am sticking with it because I feel my money is better spent (and safer) this way.

Take heart in the knowledge that not everybody takes such an extreme stance; and that there are sometimes exceptions to the rule (inexpensive snakes, snakes that can be inspected at the time of purchase, etc).

As Judy said, though...the best approach is to show people that you know what you are talking about, and that you have quality animals. That means putting yourself out there. Offer advice, participate in discussions, show pics of your animals. Don't be afraid to admit when things go poorly. As you become recognized, you'll find sales come more easily

Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
BaltimoreBees
Thank you guys! I will definitely keep it in mind and start doing some logo ideas Thanks again!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
BaltimoreBees
Here's a question, is there any cool free sites to use to make your own banner or should I draw something and scan it? This is new to me Thanks again guys!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
MrBig
I too am new to the business end of it, and am sure there will be people to pass me by simply because of this. I'm pretty thick skinned and let it roll off, in time I hope to become an established member of the community. I've found that a better way then selling right off the bat, may be to trade and bolster your stock while getting your name out there and referances established. Sadly most people are easier parted with thier animals then thier cash, personally I'm exactly the opposite. I've been dealing with reptiles for 22 years, but only recently got into breeding. I recently passed on selling my snakes to 2 differant people because I was not confident of the care they would receive. I instead opted to trade with 2 people who after some conversation felt the animals would be in good hands. I've managed to start building a reputation of good communication, great customer service, and stellar animals. We will all make mistakes, and to me that's where your true reputation will be built. It's how you will handle the problems that will bolster peoples confidence in you. Best of luck and keep me in mind, you sound very reasonable and I would be willing to talk to you about purchasing or trading animals in the future. Another good idea is to become a contributing member, it simply shows your serious about the hobby and willing to support a site that does wonders to advance our hobby.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
lauraleellbp
www.elance.com is a good place to contract out for logos etc for pretty cheap.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
Biscuit71
One of the best ways to build a reputation is right here in the classifieds. I have sold a few snakes here and people have the opportunity to leave you a trader rating. Granted, it is online and there are concerns with shipping the animals, but you will get your name out there and people will catch on. People are funny like that when it comes to thier money and reptiles... personally, i find that dealing with alot of the "big guys" is more trouble that its worth and sometimes you can find some outstanding animals from the "little guys".... Give it a shot... patience and time is what it will take... there are no short cuts to a good reputation. Take care and Good luck!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
BaltimoreBees
Thanks guys for the info! I'm hoping to be able to post up some of this next clutch as long as we are licensed to ship (we aren't currently but that will be something to look into soon). I'm just going to work hard at it and keep posting stuff on here. Hopefully soon I can become a contributing member Thanks again guys!!!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
FireStorm
Becoming a FedEx Certified shipper is a great idea, and I'm not trying to deter you from doing it, but in the mean time ShipYourReptiles is an option as well. I've been using them instead of going through FedEx my self since SYR offers insurance. Just wanted to point that out in case you didn't know

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!