So, has anyone here successfully kept different species with the Leopards? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-15-2004, 10:39 PM   #1
ragnew
So, has anyone here successfully kept different species with the Leopards?

Hey everyone,

Well, today I was trompin' through the old Leopard Gecko manual, and ran into the chapter where the author(s) talk about what kinds of animals they've kept with their Leopards.

Seems that Collard lizards, girdle tail (or was it plate) lizards and flat rock lizards were some of the other reptiles that were mentioned in the literature.... Sounds like the key is to keep species of similar locations and regions together (imagine that, huh?), as well as species that are active during different time frames Diurnal vs. Nocturnal.

I'd think it'd be pretty risky keeping Collards (being known lizard eaters) with something that is as passive as a Leopard. Sure, it be very, very hard for a Collard to down an adult leopard, but I don't think it have to much of a time if the Leopard was a smaller adult... I've seen Collards scarfe pretty good sized Emerald Swifts without thinking twice.

But I'd just be interested in hearing any stories that you've all had in this department... I don't plan on doing it, but I'd still like to see how some of these replies go...

Seems like it could be a pretty good thread, but we'll see eh?

Old 06-15-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
riverjop
I can't answer that, but don't ever!
ever!
ever!
keep tegu, with a gecko!!!!!

oh that was a sick day!!!

notice the bulge?
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2004, 11:04 PM   #3
Vince
depends on your cage size, a baby beardie wouldnt do to much , but maybe scarf down all the bugs before the leos wake up. maybe some skinks. small hermit crabs

Old 06-15-2004, 11:22 PM   #4
josh06
A baby beardie wouldn't work, since they grow so fast, that it would have to be taken out in probably about a month....

Old 06-16-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
ragnew
Hehe - crazy man! Crazy man... :)

Quote:
Originally posted by riverjop
I can't answer that, but don't ever!
ever!
ever!
keep tegu, with a gecko!!!!!

oh that was a sick day!!!

notice the bulge?
Hehe, leave it to Overton... LOL!!

I PROMISE I'll NEVER, EVER keep a leopard gecko with a Tegu.

Hehe, yeah, I'm sure that would have been very, very traumatizing...

Old 06-16-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
maybe some skinks. small hermit crabs
What kind of skink would you suggest??

Hermit crabs? That's pretty dumb too.

I can also guarantee a Collared Lizard will beat the crap out of a leo.

Just keep your leos with leos, and don't worry about mixing stuff.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
riverjop
Quote:
Hehe, yeah, I'm sure that would have been very, very traumatizing...
heeeee
I would have ! if it happened.....but it didn't!...I was just kiddin! LOL
Come on now!!!! I do have apposable thumbs! LOL

Old 06-16-2004, 01:22 PM   #8
Seamus Haley
I'm not against multiple species housed in a single enclosure, but it's something which is reserved for people who have enough experience that they shouldn't have to ask which species would be appropriate to mix.

When mixing species there are far more concerns than there are with single specimins or even multiple specimins of a single species, cross contamination of gut fauna, agression and territoriality, predator/prey responses that re triggered by unfamiliar species, a world more stress than there was before, agressive feeders out-competing weaker ones, identifying common environmental conditions within the acceptable ranges for every species involved...

And the keeper has to be familiar enough with the animals to identify and neutralize potential problems long before they become actual problems, has to know the biology, physiology and behavior backwards and forewards, inside and out, upsidedown and sideways so that they can react before the animals begin to suffer.

One of those situations where it's not appropriate to answer the question because by the time the one asking is really ready for the answer, they wouldn't have to ask it to begin with.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:36 PM   #9
ragnew
Oh no worries.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark and Aimee

Just keep your leos with leos, and don't worry about mixing stuff.
I never planned on keeping anything with my leos. They are housed safely in individual enclosures (via racks).

The only time they have company (besides me that is) is when they're being put together for breeding purposes. Other then that, they've all got their own little place.

I was re-reading the Leo manual and rumaged through the chapter about mixing species and decided to ask what experiences (if any) others have had.

The whole mixing part isn't something that'd happen with mine, but it does seem that some would be more then willing to try it.

Oh and Overton, yeah man, I knew you were joking... Thats why its so great to have you here buddy!!

Just to clarify Seamus, I wasn't asking what species I personally should keep with the leopards. I was simply asking about what kinds of experiences people have had if they've went ahead and tried it...

But as for me trying it, noppers, I don't think thats something that sounds too terribly interesting.

Thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!