feeding uros beans and lentils - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
FireDrake
feeding uros beans and lentils

I have been hearing that uros like beans and lentils so I bought some, the question is, do I feed them dry, or should I rehydrate them??

Thanks

Old 09-27-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
Vince
never heard of that, but defently rehydrate them. they might choke. raw beans are as hard as a rock. Ive alwasy heard they love canary seeds, millet , ect

Old 10-02-2004, 11:17 PM   #3
dwedeking
Feed them dry. We add them as a supplement to a mixture of fresh greens. Uros love them

Old 10-02-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
Herp-Titude
Wink Dried Peas, lentils and 15 bean mix

You can purchase a bag of "15 bean soup mix" at the grocery store and then grind it with a coffee grinder until it is like a powder. Don't use the soup mix packet they provide though.
Then pour about a 1/4 cup of this mixture into a small saucer for your Uro's to snack on. I usually refill their saucer every few days.

We also give our Uro's dried green peas and lentils (not cooked). You can actually mix this into the powered mixture (explained above).
Hope this helps..

Old 10-03-2004, 03:06 AM   #5
Vince
hey do you add the lentils whole? I am thinking about getting a pair of uros, what is there natural diet ??

Old 10-03-2004, 03:37 PM   #6
Herp-Titude
Yes, whole lentils....

You can provide daily a variety of grocery greens or grow your own: dandelions, endive, escarole, turnip greens, kale (small amounts of that), edible flowers (hibiscus, rose pedals, dandelion) , radicchio, squash, frozen peas (thawed and dusted with Miner-All)....just to name a few.

They are definately fun critters to have as pets!

Old 10-05-2004, 12:04 AM   #7
1216dex
Diet

I feed mine a healthy dose of fresh alfalfa, mustard, collard, whatever good greens they have in the store. I also have a dish of ground bean mix along with canary/finch bird seed that they have access to at all times. I usuallly put vegatable mix in with the greens once a week or so.
Good Luck!
John D. Loy

Old 11-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #8
herpies
What kind of beans are you talking about? You have to watch the protein with your uros because it is not good for them. Could even kill them. Though if you are talking about green beans, that is ok. Just not sure what kind of bean you are talking about.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
1216dex
Protein

That's silly, how is protein bad for them? Uros need protein just like we do. I try to keep mine around ten percent CP maybe slightly more for babies. A high insect diet is not good on their renal system because they aren't use to clearing large amounts of uric acids. This would be around 50 percent CP. I feed beans free choice, they seem to like them, but don't eat nearly as much as say greens or seeds. Beans = Good
J. Dustin Loy

Old 11-04-2004, 09:39 AM   #10
herpies
Remember insects are excessively high in phosphorous which causes the body to excrete calcium into the feces. Be careful to supplement w/ calcium whenever you feed insects and never feed more than just a couple per sitting and only a few per week at most. Hatchlings in particular easily develop metabolic problems if fed too many insects.
Remember that feeding food that is too high in protein can be detrimental to your uromastyx health so if you are going to provide foods that have animal protein in them do so very sparingly. Uromastyx should almost exclusively be fed plant matter. I don't feed my Uro insects and they are doing just fine. Im not saying that you can't, but just watch it. They would probably eat anything you put in there cage. But that is just me. It may be the kind of uro you have also. Maybe some eat more insects then others. But the protein thing is out there and just thought that I would tell you bout it. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Maybe I will feed my uro a cricket one a month, because you guys haven't had problems with yours. Because my Leopard Geckos are right next to uros cage and when I fed the Leos the little uro goes over to the side of the cage to get a cricket and keeps hitting his nose on the side. I will think about it, just worried. He is only a hatchling. I will probably wait. But I do feed him lima beans and green beans. But that is as far as the beans go. hmmm Still learning here I guess.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!