BREEDING GTP'S - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
junglejoe_05
BREEDING GTP'S

Hello all im new to the gtp world.. ive just recently received 3 adult GTP's...male and female jayapura..and a female merauke...im looking to breed them here in a few months.. i know i need a egg laying box with moss..but when do i breed them.. they are of age...but when do i know she is receptive.. ive breed chameleons for over 10yrs..so i am a good breeder but neve tried with snakes.. any info anyone can give me would greatly be appreceiated....thank you.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
bsharrah
My advice would be to keep them in quarantine for at least three months then focus on basic care for the time being and considering pairing them next fall at the earliest. I know that isn't what you want to hear and you are anxious to move full steam a head but you will be better off practicing patience for now.

You say you bred chams for 10 years. What would your thoughts be towards someone who basically posted "I just got my first chams, never cared for them before, and now I want to breed them, tell me how"? My guess is most cham breeders would be telling that person to slow their roll. Just something to consider.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
junglejoe_05
its probably somone who just bought their first chams from a breeder ..saw that he can breed as well and make $$$.. the problem with people that want to breed them to just breed them is they cross to many bloodlines and ruin the high quality of animal....i always wish them luck but advise them its not easy.. its not cheap..and us big time breeders take our locals seriously...

Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
junglejoe_05
but for sure i would tell him..or er .. to just focus on the general care first..chams are very sensitive...

Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
bsharrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejoe_05 View Post
but for sure i would tell him..or er .. to just focus on the general care first..chams are very sensitive...
I have no doubt they are. Although it has been debated at times, many in the snake hobby consider chondros very sensitive as well. Take what you know about chams and apply it to chondros. Learn the general care, take time to "read" their behaviors. Just as I am sure it is the same with chams, no two chondros are exactly alike when it comes to behavior. Too much stress over a short period of time will lead to health issues. Breeding involves a lot of stress on a female, especially a recent acquisition.

Join a chondro specific forum, such as MVF. The search function over there is priceless, btw. Lots of information regarding health issues, care, and breeding.

Too many people have tried to rush into it, had a bad experience, and walked away with a bed taste in their mouth. People who have taken the time have developed a true love for it. We all still have bad experiences from time to time but we have learned to take them in stride.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!