GTP on the Floor??! - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #51
pastytyler44
another thing id add is take it to vet to see if it has paracites.... i read they hit the floor if their infested with paracites

Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #52
Varanus81
Who say's GTP don't drink from the water dish??!!

He does this often, but finally caught him with my camera. He also swims in the water and I was able to get a video of it, until he realized i was watching him, lol.... Just wanted to share ...
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #53
Gatorhunter1231
Mine go to the bottom when they are to hot. I just had turn my heat light off to keep them up on branches. Try keeping light off, beat it fixes the issue. My humidty stays high though so yours may also be retreating to the ground for higher humidity.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #54
Dansolt929
Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Coast View Post
No offense to previous posters but I do not agree. Here's the correct advice.

1. You can feed a chondro weekly if it is defecating. In fact, if it is a male I would advise feeding it as much as it will eat because at some point it may go on a fast for as long as 9 months. Mine have.
2. They do prolapse - but one the size of yours probably won't. In fact, if it does you have a major issue.
3. They will drink out of a bowl. All of them.
4. All snakes need a thermal gradient. Chondros are no exception. Regulating body temperature dictates almost all of a snake's activities in the wild - why would you not try to replicate this in captivity?
5. I never use anything above a 25 watt red bulb when using it for a snake's "hot spot". If it is too hot (even a 25 watt bulb will generate a lot of heat) then move it so only half the bulb is shining in the tank.
6. The snake is not feeling secure and that is probably why it is not on the branch. I would tape newspaper all around the cage; all four sides. Cut a peep hole so you can look in. The snake ate for you so that is the biggest indicator that it is OK. Once the snake settles in then you can remove the newspaper.
7. Where they come from they get a lot of rain - but I believe it burns off quickly. You can't successfully keep that snake with no ventilation. If you cover the top of the cage with plexiglass you have to allow for some airflow. MUST.
8. Regarding temperature, for what it is worth, my snake room is in the low 80's... and the heaters are set so that the perch under the heaters are at 85F. They generally do not sit under the heat unless digesting a meal.

Hey... don't listen to me... I've only raised this female Wamena for five years... Here's a pic from yesterday morning. She weighs over 1400 grams.

This male Wamena for 5 years (he's the one that goes on 9 month fasts):

This male Aru for 5 years (pic from February 27):

...and this female Aru that I bought in November. She was 500 grams and filled with tapeworms and hookworms. Now she is 818 grams and parasite free (pic's from March 11):

love the aru female. beautiful snake!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #55
mister
Hi Greg , My Jayapura did that at first, I wouldnt worry, from what he has taught me has been he does not like change,stress,holding,change of surroundings,-My GTP has calmed down alot since, I have him now for 6 months, I keep him @ 78-86 F ,70 humidity ,his enclosure has alot of branches and hiding spots he is very shy,does not bite but is very shy ,I also cover his enclosure at night and avoid any stress. I would maintain his temps ,humidity,dont handle him,and basically leave him alone-when I clean his enclosure ,I do it during the day (while he is sleeping ) ,pull out the branches ,with him still coiled up on his perch and put everything back the same way,I hope this helps, Beat of luck!~!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 AM   #56
gregsofla
Thanks for the Info, he never goes on the ground anymore, and he is doing great and eats like a champ. i'll post some pictures soon!!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #57
dskater
it isn't un-normal for a gtp to go on the ground once in a while. in "the more complete chondro" it tells you a lot of info about them going on the floor of the cage once in a while and he also has pics of them doing it too. you might want to look into buying the book. its helped me a lot.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #58
gregsofla
thanks a lot dylan i appreciate the advice. hes not on the ground anymore and doing great.

-Greg

Old 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #59
gregsofla
Thumbs up

I just got a new Baby GTP, its an F7, the sire was a green/yellow blk eyed and the female was 90% blue. let me know what you guys think.

-Greg
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!