GTP on the Floor??! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #31
gregsofla
i have a water bowl and the tank his humid but i have not seen it drink.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #32
suzuki4life
you say the tank is humid...are you seeing water on the glass sides and is it running downward? Have you tried placing the snake in the water dish? Mine aren't happy when I do this, but most of the time they will drink some water when they realize its presence.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #33
gregsofla
yeah water is on the sides and running down, but i have not tried placing the snake in the water dish, i'll try that and see how it goes. it looks like i'm running out of scenarios as to what is wrong with this guy

Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #34
gregsofla
i put the snake in its water dish and he drank water, so at least he's drinking water. today is supposed to be its feeding day but maybe i should wait until it defecates? i have also heard placing the snake in a tub of warm water might induce it to defecate, has anyone heard of this??

Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #35
RachelSS
I've NEVER had a GTP drink out of a water dish. I provide one, but I always saw them drink off leaves and their coils when I sprayed them.

They also do well on a slower feeding schedule. They can and will prolapse very quickly if you are over feeding and not keeping adequate humidity. A 2.5-3 week feeding schedule is ideal in my opinion.

Most snakes, when placed in warm water, can and will defecate. That said, I wouldn't really suggest it. The snake should be having bowel movements so long as the humidity is accurate.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #36
RachelSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
Personally i don't even try to offer basking temps for arboreal. (spot temps)

I offer ambient temp ranges and it seems to work fine.

I also prefer to use mechanical thermometers over digital in these types of high humidity/low temps situations.
Yup. I keep mine at room temperature and only use heat in the winter. They do great at "room temperature". I wouldn't even go over mid 80's for temperatures for Green trees.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #37
gregsofla
really?? everywhere i have read says they like 85 degrees, so i guess i'll stop using heat, being that i live in miami its already naturally hot here, my humidity is not a problem. thanks rachel

-Greg

Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #38
RachelSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsofla View Post
really?? everywhere i have read says they like 85 degrees, so i guess i'll stop using heat, being that i live in miami its already naturally hot here, my humidity is not a problem. thanks rachel

-Greg
No problem! I live in north/central Florida so in the summer time I keep the snake room window open and it's perfect during the day/night. In the 80's during the day, nice and humid, and 70's at night with humidity as well. It'll be perfect in south Florida

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #39
GreenCountryHerp
If your room temps are around 80 degrees you shouldn't really need to have a heater on the cage. I put small heat pads underneath the tanks with a thermostat probe attached and set the thermostat at 85 degrees. I use the same tanks you use and this works great for me. Also with the Exoterra tanks you have to cover part of the top to help with humidity.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #40
gregsofla
I've fixed the problem already but thanks for the advice! you can never know too much!

-Greg

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!