Solomon Island Tree Boa Help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
JPalomera11
Solomon Island Tree Boa Help!

I work in a lab with a beautiful SITB, however the biggest issue is that she has not ate in over a year. We have tried multiple things frogs, lizards, pinkies and mouselings of different sizes. Housing changes so I'm curious if anyone is experienced enough to give me multiple solutions to fix this problem.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Helenthereef
Hi, I'm in Fiji with Fiji Boas, very closely related Candoia bibroni bibroni.

Check my blog for some info.

Here we are feeding them essentially their normal food.

Mine take house geckos and day old chicks with the most enthusiasm, also chicken portions rolled around in minced up gecko.

I've heard of people keeping them in captivity scenting mice with the inside of fried chicken skins with great success (I kid you not ).

Mine went off feed for 3 months last year when the weather was cold (night time below 20oc / 70oF) AND there was mating going on.... This year it was cold but there was no mating and they all kept eating...

Do you have a male anywhere near her?

What is her age/ weight/ length/ condition? Any pics?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
JPalomera11
I will post some pics of her, but weather does not seem to be a problem. I am in California in a desert region where the temperatures hit about 100 degrees. We have the a/c unit on constantly for the animals we have which is regulated at 75 degrees with her cage being 80 humidity and 80 degrees hot. No SITB males are nearby, we have scented lizard poop on mice and frog poop on mice so we have exercised all options. We used pacific tree frogs recently so hopefully we can get our hands on some more frogs.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Sounds like it should be right.

Our natural temp range here is 32oC summer high with an average 28oC (82oF with high of around 89oF), winter low of 18 - 19oC (65oF) with an average of 24oC (75oF). The eat less in winter than summer.

I did have a friend with a large female who never ate for him in over 12 months, and he tried most foods we are told they eat naturally - from birds, and rodents to geckos of various sizes. The only time she showed any interest was when he put food in her water bowl, so she may have been eating fish before she was caught, but I don't think he ever tried that. She didn't seem to lose weight, but eventually he released her.

Is yours losing weight or holding steady? Where was she before you had her? Do you know what she was eating then?

Have you tried birds? Here in nature they eat Mynah birds (about the size of a small starling), and, as I say, mine love day old chickens.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Just another thought - you say you are in a lab, so I presume you are interacting with her during working hours.

The Fiji boas, and I presume the Solomons, are nocturnal - mine eat best in the early evening when they are naturally most active - I usually feed them around or after sunset.

Might be worth staying late and trying....

Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Any luck?

Old 09-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
JPalomera11
No not yet we actually rearranged her enclosure, so we are getting her used to the environment tonight will be the first attempt at trying to feed her at night so wish me luck. I will take my camera today to get a picture of her and the enclosure itself. Thanks for the generous advice

Old 09-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Helenthereef
You're welcome, I'd love to see pics and to know if she starts eating.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Bioteacher
Depending on the size of her you might want to try feeder minnows or earthworms. Younger SITBs will sometimes take those. You can also try scenting smaller mice with tuna fish... I know weird. Definitely leave the food in overnight... some like to eat when no one is around and you should definitely provide a hotspot around 90 F during the day. If you're interacting with her, able to see her during the day, you might want to put her in an area where there is a photoperiod (12 hours of light) but sealed off from people walking by.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
JPalomera11
Hey sorry guys it took so long been supremely busy with school and fixing her habitat forgot about posting the pictures.

Shot at 2011-10-11

Shot at 2011-10-11

Shot at 2011-10-11

Shot at 2011-10-11

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!