Seeking information - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Skanakis
Seeking information

Hello everyone....New member here seeking some information from some experienced people. Im a long time snake owner. Just different kinds of reptiles. Well i drastically reduced my collection to 2 jungle carpet pythons, male and female. 3 female Brazilian Rainbow boas and 2 unsexed rainbow boas. Im actually seeking one more carpet. A female. Maybe someone can help me with this. I have seen this said a few times. Never asked. What does it mean when they say....IJ Jags or IJ jag siblings. I know what the IJ jags mean...what does it mean when there is a difference "siblings" and just "jag". I wanna start breeding....any help is GREAT appreciated.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
UwabamiReptiles
The Jaguar gene is a co-dominant gene. So when you breed a jag to a normal(or ij or jungle) the probability is 50% jags and 50% siblings. The siblings are basically just the normals that aren't jags. If you get a 50% or 75% ij jag for example, the percentages means how much ij blood is in the animal. So a pure coastal jag to a pure ij will give you 50% ij jags and sibs. If you breed a 50% ij jag to a pure ij, you end up with 75% ij jags and sibs. To answer your original question, the jags are the morphs and the sibs are just normals but some will argue that sibs are prettier than normal carpets. Its like if you breed a pastel ball python to a normal, half will be pastels(the jags in this case) and half will be normals(siblings). Hope that wasn't confusing.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Skanakis
ok...thats totally understood. You didnt confuse me. Well a little towards the percentages. But my original question was answered. Ill get to understand all the co dom and dominant genes and percents. I just started so i got some stuff to learn. Thank you.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Payara
Just so you know jags have a neurological disorder. Some have severe symptoms, while others go unnoticed. It varies from one individual jag to another. Also the onset can vary as well. Good luck

Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
Skanakis
wow....dude...im a mental health worker with humans. What kind of mental disorders you talking about?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
Utta
They do the same thing that Spider Ball Pythons do, the head "wobble"

Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Payara
As Tyler said it's like wobble in BP. It's also more noticeable at times of stress. There are some videos on youtube showing such animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!