12 Pythons Taken From Home - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Tiger Lilly
12 Pythons Taken From Home

[ NEW PORT RICHEY ]
Published: Friday, August 28, 2009 at 9:30 p.m.
Last Modified: Friday, August 28, 2009 at 9:30 p.m.

Florida authorities have seized 12 pythons from a home in New Port Richey.

According to a news release, officials removed two adult Burmese pythons that were about 8 to 9 feet long during the operation on Wednesday night.

They also took four adult reticulated pythons and six small albino Burmese pythons that were juveniles.

Bradley Scott Dean has been cited on second-degree misdemeanor charges of possession of reptiles of concern without a permit, failure to present a valid wildlife dealer's license and failure to microchip the snakes. Authorities say the 19-year-old could still face other charges.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Tiger Lilly
His excuse was that he 'couldn't afford' the licenses...
It's people like this that are making it sooooo easy for the government to legislate our pet ownership!
According to FOX 13 news, this was not the first time he'd been cited, so it's not like he didn't know about the laws he was violating.
BTW...they busted him by catching him trying to sell snakes on Craigslist...

Old 08-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Chrisw
Most laws and regulations I dont agree with, but once a law is inplace, you should respect it. He needs to do time.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
WJS Herps
I have a feeling a lot of people down here (Central FL) are in for a rude awakening. I posted in the "pet" forum of the Tampa area Craigslist with the regulations from the FWC homepage. I've noticed, though, that a lot of people are seemingly getting smart about what they post. Prior to this guy getting busted I was seeing several ads for Burms every day in our area.

With the number of animals this guy had, he should have known better.

The ones I could potentially feel bad for are those who bought a single burm prior to the law - who are now outlaws because they won't pay for a permit.

Most of the anti-herp legislation being passed in FL right now are bunk. I just hope all of this stops short of the Humane Society getting their way and reptiles being illegal to own...

Old 09-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
RogerProws
Love the "couldn't afford it" excuse. I see that all the time in my store.

"I bought this (insert animal here) and its sick. Will you take it. I can't afford the vet bills, heating, lighting, etc."

Then don't buy the animal if you can't afford to do it right!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Jerry_c_62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisw View Post
Most laws and regulations I dont agree with, but once a law is inplace, you should respect it. He needs to do time.
I will allow for the fact that you may have posted this in a moment of passion, and I agree that once a law is in place and you knowingly violate it that you should be prepared to deal with the consequences. However, I think it a bit harsh to think he needs to " do time" for this.

As Troi said, these type of "keepers" make it easy for law makes to regulate away our ability to keep/sell/breed/enjoy these wonderful creatures.

Let's keep this in perspective though. Fine him, make him go into the Everglades and collect two-to-one for the "illegal" animals he has, make it known that those who violate the law will pay a high price if/when caught. But lets not start throwing people in jail for these infractions. The tax payers in FL , I am sure, need all the space they have for murderers, thiefs, rapists and the like. We should punish criminals, certainly, but let's make the punishment fit the crime and not let things get out of balance.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
Tiger Lilly
Great point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_c_62 View Post
I will allow for the fact that you may have posted this in a moment of passion, and I agree that once a law is in place and you knowingly violate it that you should be prepared to deal with the consequences. However, I think it a bit harsh to think he needs to " do time" for this.

As Troi said, these type of "keepers" make it easy for law makes to regulate away our ability to keep/sell/breed/enjoy these wonderful creatures.

Let's keep this in perspective though. Fine him, make him go into the Everglades and collect two-to-one for the "illegal" animals he has, make it known that those who violate the law will pay a high price if/when caught. But lets not start throwing people in jail for these infractions. The tax payers in FL , I am sure, need all the space they have for murderers, thiefs, rapists and the like. We should punish criminals, certainly, but let's make the punishment fit the crime and not let things get out of balance.
I work in the jail system & can confirm that we are overcrowded as it is. I'm more in favor of hefty fines for anything less than a felony. I babysit too many of these people as it is!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
Chrisw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_c_62 View Post

If it was the first time he was caught, sure, harsh fines. This guy KNEW he was doing something wrong and did it anyways. Jail would be a much safer punishment than sending the kid off to the everglades.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
P120_Cartman
So your all for throwing him in jail for his disagreement with a law? Boy, Hate to be your children and get in trouble for anything.

Jail time should be reserved for real crimes, not petty I don't have a liscense, its a victimless crime. I don't Understand how your so quick to want to jail him, so this 19 year old with a few pets should be next to manson, gacey and dahmer right???? Not to mention everybody else with real reasons to be there.

Him going to jail cost the florida tax payers money, money to keep a non-violent, non-sex offender, in jail where he DOESN'T belong. Does the punishment fit the crime?

"Let's keep this in perspective though. Fine him, make him go into the Everglades and collect two-to-one for the "illegal" animals he has, make it known that those who violate the law will pay a high price if/when caught. But lets not start throwing people in jail for these infractions. The tax payers in FL , I am sure, need all the space they have for murderers, thiefs, rapists and the like. We should punish criminals, certainly, but let's make the punishment fit the crime and not let things get out of balance."

Perfectly said.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
WJS Herps
I think only one person here actually advocated this guy going to jail.

Personally, I think confiscating all of his UNPERMITTED animals and a hefty fine would be fitting. It is painful and immediate as lessons should be.

Making him do anything beyond this would require some sort of supervision, follow-up court time or something else that would make the taxpayers foot a bill. Take the animals and hit him with a fine - he's the only one that is penalized. I'm going to have to see exactly what the new laws in our state call for.

Same thing if he does it again - but increase the fine. Jail time is just silly for something like this. Just my two cents...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!