Baird's common name! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-09-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Shaky
Baird's common name!

I saw Tim Gebhard's revamped website. He is calling P. bairdi the Metallic Ratsnake. What an appropriate name. His snakes are where I got my pair from, and they are gorgeous.
It's about time the bairdi had a common name, and I believe I like it.
I know that the Latin name is preferred, but I really appreciate it when a name (common or Latin) is very descriptive of the species.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #2
cka
any pics? ;*)

Agree with ya, Shaky....and I KNOW how to say "metallic"; not so sure of "Bairdi"

Old 05-25-2004, 11:15 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
a little late, but what the heck:

I wonder would Spencer Fullerton Baird, for whom I believe this snake was named appreciate any belittlement of his accomplishments by someone changing the common name for this species.
Quote:
I know that the Latin name is preferred...It's about time the bairdi had a common name, and I believe I like it.
This species is not as you seem to imply without a common name. Its common name has been and is correctly: Baird's Rat Snake. It is not named for its Latin name as you seem to imply, rather it was named for one of the great naturalists in American history. It is called Baird's Rat Snake because it was named for and in honor of Baird, thus the specific name of bairdi in the scientific name. Because the nomenclature uses the name of the person from which both the scientific and common name were derived does not make it any less the proper common name for this snake.

According to Ellin Beltz at http://www.ebeltz.net/herps/biogappx.html#Baird , here are some of Mr. Baird's accomplishments; so maybe he in some small measure deserved to have this snake named after him, and maybe he is still deserving of that honor (please note, in particular, his 1853 accomplishment below):

Quote:
Baird, Spencer Fullerton (1823-1887) Elaphe bairdi (Yarrow, 1880)

1840 AB, Dickinson College, Cumberland County, PA.
1840-1841 Spent a year on his own studying nature and collecting.
1843 MA, Dickinson College.
1844-1846 Professor, Natural History and Chemistry, Dickinson College.
1846 Joined the Smithsonian shortly after it was founded.
1846 Baird's collection added to those of the US Exploring Expedition (Wilkes Expedition) specimens formed core of natural history specimens at the Smithsonian Institution.
1850 Assistant Secretary, Smithsonian, to Joseph Henry.
1850-1860 Explored Wyoming Territory for US Government.
1853 Wrote "Catalog of North American Reptiles< with Girard.
1874 1st Commissioner, US Department of Fish and Fisheries.
1878 Unanimously elected Secretary, Smithsonian.
Encouraged Kennicott and Charles Girard, and other young naturalists who formed an informal group known as the Megatheria.
Wrote 1,068 separate publications.
Instrumental in establishing Wood's Hole Oceanographic Institute.
Biographies: (1) Dall, "Spencer Fullerton Baird," Lippincott, Philadelphia 1915. and "Letters of Spencer Fullerton Baird;" (3) Biographical memoirs of Spencer Fullerton Baird, published in both The Auk, Vol. 5, 1888, #1; and Smithsonian Report for 1888, Washington, DC, 1890; (4) Bibliography: Bull. US Natl. Mus. #20.
In my opinion, any name change would be somewhat disrespectful of a great American naturalist.
Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 05-31-2004, 09:52 PM   #4
cka
Ouch...

"In my opinion, any name change would be somewhat disrespectful of a great American naturalist".

Glenn, thanks a lot for that information on Spencer Baird..uhhh is it pronounced just like I think? "barhds" rat snake? Learned something new today, gracia's Glen and peace

istilllikemetalicrat;*)

Old 06-04-2004, 12:23 AM   #5
Glenn Bartley
Sorry I I seemed like I was preaching no ouch intended. I have usually heard it pronounced B-Air-ds with the AIR sounding like it does in air.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
cka
Preach on, Brother Glenn

This forum is one of the slowest, any information received here is welcome, preachy or not lol...My sister in law graduated from Dickinson College, and it is set on a beautiful campus...I will have to ask her if there is a "Baird Dormitory" or a "Spencer Baird Library" on campus...You've also piqued my interest in seeing if whether or not he conducted his field collections in PA...it's ALL good, Glenn, again thanks and peace, old grumpy herper ;*)

Old 06-04-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
Glenn Bartley
Chris,
If I recall correctly he did some collecting IN PA but also did extensive traveling too. He was apparently part of an expedition or two. There is more than one Baird that comes up in those travels, I think the other guy was his brother.

I would not known most of this had I not researched the issue after you started the post. I knew the snake was named for a naturalist/scientist, but surely knew much less about him than I probably should have being I own a nice pair of these beautiful snakes. My hat goes off to you for getting my curiosity going.
Thanks,
Glenn B

Old 07-11-2004, 03:36 AM   #8
Gargoyle420
Bairds are killer snakes.

Just got into bairds.Great snakes.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2004, 11:04 AM   #9
cka
That's one beautiful snake, Paul.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!