Leopard X Hypo Hogg Island Boa Cross - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #1
Junkyard
Leopard X Hypo Hogg Island Boa Cross

Has anyone seen this yet? Sierra Serpents is breeding the two together, babies should be any day now:

http://www.sierraserpents.com/listing.php?id=141

What do you all think? I am not one to cross, but this is a completely different pairing then I have seen before. I certainly would like to see what comes from these two.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 AM   #2
Art Klass
Is leopard a co-dom gene? If it is then I imagine a hypo leopard boa is going to be a striking creature.

If I were the breeder and I had a choice I don't think that I would use a hypo-Hogg Island to breed to the leopard. It's certainly going to produce some great offspring, but I would opt out of the Hogg.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:02 AM   #3
markface
i think there could be some really cool looking babies if the leopard thing proves out . i dont know if i'd have used a hogg island either but who knows what could come of it .

Old 06-01-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
OrganicBoas
The damage was already done when the columbian and the hogg were crossed. But the babies will probably look cool and hopefully the genetics will be properly advertised down the way.

- Damian

Old 06-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
Junkyard
For the price of a Leopard boa, I am sure they will properly advertise them. There is a company in Germany that were the first to breed the Leopard with an Albino. From what I know, there are 3 pairs of Leopard Het Albinos in the USA(purchased by Jeff Gee), so we should be seeing some babies from those hets in a couple of years. He did have them advertised for $10,000 for a pair on KS, some of you may have seen the ad.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
OrganicBoas
Yea, I was more talking about a couple generations down the way. Not necessarily this set of offspring.

- Damian

Old 06-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Personally, I think it sucks that a hog was used. I guess to each his own, but I don't like the island morphs being crossed. It's not like those islands hold a huge population of them.

But I do agree that I think a leopard Hypo would look crazy as hell though. I think an albino leopard would cool too. And I am curious how it all turns out.

Rick

Old 06-05-2006, 05:36 AM   #8
hhmoore
Leopard boas are the result of a simple recessive anomaly, so the product of that pairing will probably not be anything special My guess is that the hypo hog was used for the vivid orange coloration (often better than your average hypo), in attempt to color up the leopards that will eventually be created. I suppose it was the next "logical" step(?).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!