USPS Refused To Ship My Package - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
SPJ
USPS Refused To Ship My Package

I figured I would give them a try since they allow lizards to be shipped and the customer had asked for this shipping method so I went down to the post office at just about closing time with my package all set to go. I had the box labeled with the following.

Live harmless lizard
Do not expose to extreme temps
Savannah monitor ( Varanus exanthematicus )

They refused to ship it saying it was against the law to ship live fish and animals.

WTH! I thought it was OK.
I labeled the box accordingly.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #2
Sybella
It is legal to ship lizards through the post office, and other harmless animals too if you get clearance by going through their protocol. I don't know what that person was thinking but if I were you, I would call and ask to talk to a manager there...they'll get it straightened out for you.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
Mark and Aimee
http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf

526.6 Small, Harmless, Cold-Blooded Animals
Small, harmless, cold-blooded animals, except for snakes, turtles, and turtle
eggs, are mailable only when they meet certain requirements. For some
examples, see Exhibit 526.6.

Follow the link, read the regs, print them out, and bring them with you.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
Ken Harbart
Re: USPS Refused To Ship My Package

Quote:
Originally posted by SPJ
I figured I would give them a try since they allow lizards to be shipped and the customer had asked for this shipping method so I went down to the post office at just about closing time with my package all set to go. I had the box labeled with the following.

Live harmless lizard
Do not expose to extreme temps
Savannah monitor ( Varanus exanthematicus )

They refused to ship it saying it was against the law to ship live fish and animals.

WTH! I thought it was OK.
I labeled the box accordingly.
Go back and try again tomorrow. If they refuse again, raise the b.s. flag. Tell them to look it up in the DMM, and politely request that they stop giving customers gross misinformation regarding postal laws.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!