Breading Bufo Alvarius in captivity Sonoran deserat toad AKA colorado river toad - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
Eds got a toad
Breading Bufo Alvarius in captivity Sonoran deserat toad AKA colorado river toad

I am looking for information about breeding Bufo Alvarius (Sonoran desert toad, aka Colorado river toad) in captivity.

It seems there was a website that was shut down that had some information I think it was www.bufoalvarius.org.

I found some information about its breeding habits in its native environment.

They can breed at 3 inches. It breeds and lays eggs in ponds, slow-moving streams, etc.

"Reproduction Comments: Breeding occurs May-August, usually for a short period (one or two nights), 1-3 nights following a major rainfall event; relatively few of the males produce persistent advertisement calls (Sullivan and Malmos, 1994, Herpetologica 50:146-156). May lay up to about 8,000 eggs in long strands (Stebbins 1972)" (http://www.natureserve.org/explorer/...=Bufo+alvarius)

I'm not sure if I will need some kind of permanent water supply that I do not change daily like I do now.

I'm not sure about the sexing of this species I think I have a breeding pair; ones larger then the other and behaves different.

I'm not sure about the enclosure requirements to get them to mate; I have them in the largest Rubbermaid container that I could find. They have a sand side and a bark side with 2 water bowls allot of large bark for hiding a small basking light on one side connected to a timer and a small nighttime heat light on the other.

They might need a larger setup with a large pool, maybe the female needs her own area to feel secure, I really don't know.

I believe this species hibernates during winter, witch maybe I should simulate. Perhaps, by feeding them more during the fall to get them fat and then lower the daytime on the timer and maybe cut the heat light all together for a few months. Feed them less during the winter, then “wake them up” during the spring, spray them with some water lengthen the day ect.

I think the male is supposed to call to the females after some rain in the spring, I haven't heard any noise from mine yet at all.

Perhaps if i got more toads in one location the males would compete more for the females, I heard they sometimes form large group breeding groups in the wild.

If I am successful and they do court, and the female lays the eggs what do I do then? What would be the temperature requirements of the eggs and tadpoles? What do Colorado river tadpole's eat, is there anything else I should know about raising these toads from eggs?

If you have information about this species especially about captive breeding, can answer any of my questions, or have any good information or ideas that would be prevalent, Please respond to this post and/or E-mail me at UberduderfromVtown@hotmail.com.

I don't know perhaps information about breeding other Bufo species would prove useful. Thank you,

Ed

Old 11-20-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
Eds got a toad
P.

The Handbook for the Serious Toad Collector, by Albert Most

Old 11-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
Eds got a toad
P.S. Dose anyone have this book?

whoops anyway P.S. The Handbook for the Serious Toad Collector, by Albert Most was recommended to me, but the book was never published but may still exist somewhere, but where? Let me know if you know.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
ZacTM
Hey i have two that mated, I don't know what to do now, i built a huge 4x4x2 enclosure for them, half water half land with waterfalls, fish, the works, i have the water pump moving the water in constant circulation.

Hopefully she will lay her eggs, she weighs like 5 lbs, no joke.

I will post any progression i see to help you out, but do you know if there is something I should do to trigger her into laying the eggs? ALso how long does it take? They stopped mating about 2 weeks ago.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Lucille
I really wanna see a picture of a five pound toad.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:10 AM   #6
ZacTM
i weighed her today, was almost 3, exaggerated a bit, she is sooo bloated with eggs, ill try to get some pics for ya.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
bullcowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacTM View Post
Hopefully she will lay her eggs, she weighs like 5 lbs, no joke.
They stopped mating about 2 weeks ago.
Anuran Biology fail

The eggs are externally fertilized chief. Short of hormones, the only way to get these to breed would be simulating the weather patterns of arizona ( like photoperiod/light intensity, humidity, and rain.)

Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
bullcowman
and temps

Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Rkloster
Red face Did your toad lay her eggs? Love to buy juvenile...

Teacher Pet died hope you have another for sale
Hello,

I just lost my beloved "Fat Albert" that I had as a class pet for over 10 years."Fat Albert" was given to me when the Palm Springs Desert Museum closed their Natural Science Exhibit. He(Actually a she...didn't have the heart to tell the kids after they picked such an appropriate name...)was a Sonoran Desert/Colorado River Toad.
Fat Albert was the most spoiled toad EVER...LOL!!!
The kids absolutely LOVED him, and I have been trying to find a place to buy a new class pet. I am a Biology teacher, so I am well aware of the care and safety needs of this breed of toad. I promissed the kids I would kiss a toad if they raised the most money for Library books.Please let me know if you have a toad like him for me to purchase.
Thank you!
Becky (760) 831-5006
PSPNATEBEC@AOL.COM

Contact Us Frog Forum Privacy Statement Terms of Service (Rules) Top