Computers and Mod upgrades - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:33 PM   #1
JungleHabitats
Angry Computers and Mod upgrades

well i have been spending many hrs working on some things in my site first im no whiz kid on this demon of thing with all these keys i can run my work related programs wit hthe best of them but when it comes to web based crap im dangerous

well all weekend i have been setting up a forum board all went well ( 2nd setup of this keep in mind) well now i was having one glitch for users loging in they had to hit the back button to actually be shown .. well i goto the board creators site of tech .. get what i think is the fix i need to make log in a snap right ? NOOOOOOOOO this did nothing more then now just Botch up everything and i cant even access my Admin section to reverse it .... computers .... they should be hung from a high tree on a low stool ... o wait or is that the people that make fixes ? anyways i had to blab as so far i have not recieved any good feedback on how to fix what is botched up and this would look like it will mean a total deletion of my forum that would make two times in a 5 day period for this and 3 to rebuild it .... Rich i admire your paitience .. asi have NONE lol and its showing

Old 11-11-2003, 01:56 AM   #2
WebSlave
Alan,

You are only scratching the very thinnest surface of all this stuff.

Wait until your board messes up because of a MySQL error. And you find out it's because he latest version of MySQL isn't completely compatible with your message board. Then you find out the PHP needs a patch as well, and both of them require your server to be rebooted to take effect. Then you need a kernel upgrade because those two patches opened up a security hole in the server.

When you finally get that all straightened away, you discover you want to do something really neat, but the particular message board you chose doesn't support it yet the other one you looked at when you were trying to decide on a message board system will do it easily. There is a conversion program in the works to the other system, but it's still in beta testing, and not expected to be completed for 6 months or more. No lie - that's what I went through not that long ago converting from iKonboard to vBulletin.

Finally you get everything straightened away, and your message board begins to take off, your bandwidth goes through the roof. Because you made ALL kinds of mistakes setting up your board. How much bandwidth does each page display use? If you get 1000 users per day and they look at nearly every page on your site, what sort of bandwidth will you need for your domain hosting? Graphics make it look snazzy and everything, but they eat up bandwidth like it's a free lunch.

When I started up the very first BOI on HerpWantAds.com, I had to upgrade my domain hosting (more $$) about every month until I basically HAD to lease my own dedicated server. I have had to change servers MANY times because of just as MANY reasons to do so. If you get a cheap server, expect to have your server down a lot. Nothing is more frustrating to be building up traffic to your site to crank up your computer every other day and find that your server is just gone. Do that too many times, and people will just stop trying to come to your site.

If you want to have your gray matter fall out of your ears, pick up some books on web server administration. You will never look at the internet again without being amazed that it works at all.

Good luck....

Old 11-11-2003, 02:09 AM   #3
JungleHabitats
Webslave ...

all i can say is i ENVY what you do lol

I realize that what you do is more work then 7/8's of the members here now realize ( i mean really realize the headaches)
I am not expecting mine to ever really take to the effect that the BOI has and if it does i have no idea what ill do lol . but for now it keeps me atleast out of the bar stool and just having to walk to the fridge for that drink now lol . The PHP guru as i refer to him is going to help with the site for any mods i have or need and problems that arise luckily he said he does this as a " hobby" and wouldnt dare think of charging for it he said then it would be no fun ... lol my idea and his idea of fun are miles apart . well for now i have everything i "think " i need in it so hopefully i can relax some and let my headache ease off and relax...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!