R.I. question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
alyson
Stop! R.I. question

I have a ball python that got RI, I took him to the vet and they gave me meds to give him and told me to soak him in warm water every day because he was dehydrated. I took him to the vet about 4 weeks ago and she is still dehydrated any suggestions on what I could do???

Alyson

Old 01-08-2004, 01:39 PM   #2
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Did he have a bad shed? Is that how you determined he is dehydrated? Or something else?

If was as simple as a bad shed you can just make him a nice humid hide. Get some spagnum moss from the nursury (garden center at Wal-mart~ Whatever) soak the moss and then squeeze out exess water. Get a tupperware container about the size of the snakes favorite hide. Cut a hole in the lid LARGER than the largest part of the snake. Put moss in tupperware. Replace favorite hide with humid hide as soon as you see the snake begin a shed cycle (Red Belly, Cloudy Eyes)

Good Luck

Old 01-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
alyson
I can tell that she is dehydrated because her spit is really sticky and she is drooling.

Old 01-09-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
8BallPythons
Sticky "spit" and discharge from the mouth and/or nostrils are symptoms of advanced upper respiratory infection.

While it is impossible to diagnose a snake without seeing it, I would guess that your snake either did not respond to the medications prescribed by your vet or the husbandry that allowed for the initial URI wasn't properly corrected.

Sounds like a return trip to the vet is in order as well as higher temperatures in your snakes enclosure.

Hope this helps

-Adam

Old 01-09-2004, 08:55 PM   #5
NEWReptiles
Did they give you any shots to administer to the sick animal?

Old 01-09-2004, 10:56 PM   #6
alyson
ya I have to give him shots every 3 days, the temp in the cage is 85- 90 degrees which is where the vet told me it should be. I was just wonder if there is another way to rehydrate her before she goes back to the vet.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:00 PM   #7
NEWReptiles
I would get the temp closer to 90-92 and try to keep it there.

If your worried about hydration, just soak it for a half hour a couple times a day. But from the way it sounds, it needs to be back at the vet and on some drugs.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:38 PM   #8
alyson
well I went back to the vet and now I get to shove a tube down her throat and put meds throught the tube every day what fun. I this doesn't wok they have to do blood work, my life is so fun any suggestions? on how I could make this experiance easier on the snake?

Old 01-13-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
NEWReptiles
It sounds to me that poor husbandry was the cause of the initial RI.

I would advise you to do a little more homework and make sure the animal is kept properly.
I have been working with these animals for a while now and would be happy to answer anyquestions you may have.

Good luck with him, Al

Old 03-30-2004, 12:36 PM   #10
April Homich
What medication did they give you? Did they give you the same drug again, just orally? There are not many studies on the absorption of oral meds on snakes, so I doubt that giving oral as opposed to injectable will solve the problem.
Did your vet do a culture and sensitivity? If not, that's what should be done. Not all RIs can be treated with the same antibiotics - a lot of strains can be resistant to the normal antibiotics used.
I hope this helps!

Oops, I didn't look at the date on your post. Guess you'll have worked it out by now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!