Egg production - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
Jadormdrache
Egg production

I have a gravid female, I was wondering how long it takes them to lay? what's the longest? when should I began to worry? I've had her since may 18th and she was gravid at shipping. I'm not sure how long it takes them to lay, but I wanted to know if I should take her to a vet or not. she seems healthy, I keep her cage at 87 degrees-82 on the warmside at night. She doesn't seem to be eating much, her weight has not changed from 60 grams since I recieved her. She has spaghum moss as her laying medium because that's what she has layed on in the past( I tried peat for the first week and a half). I'm using a plastic shoebox with a hole cut in the top for her to climb out of as her hide/lay box. she has Mineral-O in a small dish in cage at all times. I've tried feeding her a pinkie(she nibbles at it but doesn't take it). I keep superworms/mealworms in cage at all times, I have not tried crickets, as it seems her staple was mealworms in the past+ I hate dealing with them. I've tried silkworms as well, she didn't seem enthusiastic, I have roaches but have not tried one yet. I think I put all the info needed up but if any questions pls email me at Jadormdrache@yahoo.com

Old 06-12-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
DiabloBoa
how sure are you she should have eggs?
i have been fortunate enough to see breeding occour plenty of times and im guessing you dont have the male she may have bred with so you dont really know.
usually i have also been able to actually see the eggs develop in the belly of my females especially later on. its hard to tell sometimes tho (right now my Raya should have eggs but its been a while, she seems a little "thick skinned" now so i cant really tell but she looks ready to pop)
good luck

Old 06-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
Jadormdrache
I know the male is a rainwater albino het patternless that was bred to her, this should be her 4th lay this season, and I can see where the eggs are in her tummy.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:44 PM   #4
DiabloBoa
ahh cool. well then i suppose well just have to wait. just curious what you suppliment with and how often. i dust everything and give some in the tub but have waited like a month or so before (between egg layings). im thinking she holds on to them because of a lack or shortage of some element but im not sure what.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
dragonflyreptiles
I wouldn't be worried, she could wait up to 4 weeks to lay, unless she loses weight or begins to act slugish then Id worry. Ive had a couple lay 14 days for 2 cycles then go 4 weeks, some just don't lay as steady as others.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
Jadormdrache
thankyou Wendy, and I put Minerall O in the enclosure and druing breeding use reptivite at every feeding.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
Milwaukee Reptiles
My girls take from 13 days to 4 weeks between clutches, and almost all of them take 3-4 weeks if it's their first clutch. I would only start to worry if you can tell that the eggs are really big and starting to possibly effect the female's behavior or health.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!