Leiolepis Species ID - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:35 PM   #1
beanb142002
Question Leiolepis Species ID

Can’t tell if my new butterfly agama is Leiolepis belliana or guttata?
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2022, 09:25 PM   #2
FolkvangExotics
Hi, this is neither.

I breed these guys.

You have a male Leiolepis Rubritaeniata.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
beanb142002
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolkvangExotics View Post
Hi, this is neither.

I breed these guys.

You have a male Leiolepis Rubritaeniata.
Can you provide some information on these? I understand their basic care but how big do they get and do they become more herbivorous as they get older?

Old 04-18-2022, 08:52 PM   #4
FolkvangExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanb142002 View Post
Can you provide some information on these? I understand their basic care but how big do they get and do they become more herbivorous as they get older?
Yes, of course!

I get my basic husbandry from Vietnam, where these guys are commonly found and farmed.

Leiolepis in general can live for several decades. Sexual maturity is reached at 4-5 years in age, these guys grow quite slow.

L. Rubritaeniata is known to be bisexual in nature.

Temps: 85-110 during the day with a basking spot of up to 120 (F), at night temps can range between 60-75.
Humidity ranges between 65%-85%, with higher humidity at night.

Feeding should consist of 50% of the protein component of animal origin and 50% of the food of plant origin. Here they can consist of various vegetable mixtures for herbivorous species containing flowers and leaves of non-poisonous weeds and trees, fruits, grated carrots, beetroot, Chinese cabbage, chicory, Pollock, arugula, etc.germinated seeds and legumes such as lentils, mung beans, alfalfa, radish, etc. are very suitable. in addition, various types of seeds and legumes are also recommended to be served in dry form, as well as in the related genus uromastyx. You can also feed washed dandelions. (make sure there was NO weed killer on it, any chemicals can and will kill your animal). Mine prefer crickets, but I have had success feeding them in a deep dish where no bugs can escape, Locusts would be preferred over crickets but work with what you can get. Mealworms and small dubias have been the most successful of other insects, some have success with black soldier fly larvae. just make sure that the body width of whatever you feed them is smaller than the space between their eyes.

These guys are prone to dehydration, they do not drink stagnant water. A Mister, waterfall, or small airstone in a water dish is sufficient.

During the first 2 years of life, the chicks grow to about half the size of adult individuals, but then their growth slows down significantly and they reach sexual maturity only at the age of 4-5 years.

Male rubritaeniata can get up to 16 inches in length, and up to 80g in weight.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
agama, identification, lizard, reptile, species