Calmest Species of Large Python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
CeaserGirl938
Calmest Species of Large Python

I've owned reptiles not too terribly long but have gained a lot of experience in the time that I've had mine. I soon plan to be expanding my collection after the proper research and investments, and am hoping to add hognose snakes and possibly one or two large python species. The thing with me, is I enjoy being able to handle my snakes. I like having them out and spending time with them, taking pics, and such. Every Friday, my ball pythons go with me to Petsmart while I pick up gecko food and other odds and ends. So I am interested in learning about the most handleable/calmest species of large python (5ft+). I am not really concerned about biting because its natural for any animal, but of course I'd prefer to go with the least bitey types, as to prevent future harm to me or at worst, the snake itself. Thanks to all who reply. ^^

Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Utta
Half dwarf burms are what i'd suggest then. But if you want "large" python thats 5ft+, you have many choices. Could go for a woma, carpet, angolian, olive's, water's, super dwarf retics (they can be bitey, but their tiny enough that it wont hurt much) even full dwarf burms can get over 5ft if you get a biiiiiig female. But as with the SD retics, they can bite. If you can narrow down what youre looking for and a price range, itd help a whole lot more.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
FosterHerpetological
Depends what you mean by large. Are you talking 10+ feet, or about 7-8 feet?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
CeaserGirl938
Prolly in the 7-8ft. I would prefer to avoid needing to get a permit for having too large of a snake just yet. But anything under the permit length (I believe its 12ft) would be good. If theres a 10ft thats calmer than an 8ft, I'd rather get that one. Lol. I'm going to try to keep my price range below 300 if possible. I'm not really interested in special morphs or anything. I'd rather get a couple more years experience before I start dealing with morphs and breeding.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
darkbloodwyvern
To suggest another boid, at least, how about boa constrictors? They get big and heavy, and I've known many calm boas that were also pretty big (~7 feet). In my opinion, it seems you can get a calm, docile snake of many different species if you buy from the right breeder. I'm planning on getting a blood someday and have already found the breeder i want to purchase from. Her babies mellow out well with regular handling, and I'm going to request a good tempered snake. To me, it seems like the species should be one you like, and then you might be lucky to find the individual snake that can fit your general range. Though this is also considering that you are taking the snake's needs into account.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
CeaserGirl938
Maybe if I get lucky, I can find some local owners of large species pythons so I can learn more about the different ones by hand. Might be a nice way to decide.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Toddbecker1234
As long as you get cbb babies you should not have any problems with any species or subspecies you decide to keep. The generalized descriptions of how most species act are not reallt accurate. Most of the data is based off of data from wc specimens decades ago. In all honesty, any species can be great, calm, and have pleasant dispositions. The further the offspring are from the wc specimens the calmer they typically are. However, one thing I think needs to be addressed is your insistance to take or parade your snakes out in a public environment is not a hood thing for you, the snake, innocent bystandards that might have an unatural fear of snakes and for the general hobby as a whole. Snakes or not playthings that should be taken out in public settings just because the owner wants to show it off. It is irresponsible and sheds bad light on the entire community as a whole. So please dont take this personally but instead take this as advice, leave them at home unless it is in truly an appropriate setting.
As far as a species goes I would recommend red tail boas, superdwarf retics (pure) or carpets. I would stay away from dwarf burms as they havent been bred enough to truly know there full capacity in my opinion. Hope this helps a little, Todd

Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
CeaserGirl938
Thanks for the advice. I will take it into consideration. But I keep my snakes as pets, not as breeders. They aren't used for a business or anything like that. To me, as long as the snake is not negatively affected by what I do with it, I don't see the problem with having them out now and then. They all eat on normal schedules, shed every month, and have no health problems. I don't touch my snakes in the three days during feeding (before, day of, and after) and I don't do anything but raise cage humidity when they are in shed. As long as they aren't being harmed, I don't see how taking them out for 30 mins once a week will hurt them that much. I also find it to be a sometimes rewarding outing, because I get the chance to meet other people who are interested, and help them to know what they need to for future pets. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeaserGirl938 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will take it into consideration. But I keep my snakes as pets, not as breeders. They aren't used for a business or anything like that. To me, as long as the snake is not negatively affected by what I do with it, I don't see the problem with having them out now and then. They all eat on normal schedules, shed every month, and have no health problems. I don't touch my snakes in the three days during feeding (before, day of, and after) and I don't do anything but raise cage humidity when they are in shed. As long as they aren't being harmed, I don't see how taking them out for 30 mins once a week will hurt them that much. I also find it to be a sometimes rewarding outing, because I get the chance to meet other people who are interested, and help them to know what they need to for future pets. Thanks.
Theres no harm in that. I take all of my larger snakes out one day on the weekends for them to get some sun.

I would recommend a boa constrictor as well. But I would also say if you are set on a python go with a carpet python. They are extremely tame as adults. That being said, do realize as babies, carpet pythons are very nippy, but they grow out of it with age.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
CeaserGirl938
Yes. I was warned about the nippy thing when I got my first ball python as he was only a few months old. He struck a few times but never fully latched on which was good. One day I hope to get bit though as to have the experience and to learn from it. Im going to borders to look through some books on snakes so im hoping to find some helpful information to better prepare myself for my future baby.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!