Man it is dark in PA - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-23-2004, 10:28 AM   #1
AaronFromPA
Man it is dark in PA

Hello everyone.

I am having a bit of a lighting problem. It seems PA is a pretty dull place this fall with endless days of cloud cover and no sun. My leos are a bit lathargic due to this I beleive. I know they are nocturnal and do not "need" light per se but I do think they have gone into a slow mental/pysical state because of the low light (I use UTH and no lamps. Does anyone use any suplimental light to counter this? If so what are you using?

Old 10-23-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
lostkauze
Are they also staying more on the cool side of their enclosure?

Most likely they are starting to broomate themselves. When the days shorted, and cools, the geckos slow down. They'll be cooler, and eat less, wont be as active etc.

Even here in Florida, I'm noticing the change in my geckos. Its normal, they're just getting ready by themselves for breeding season, which insinctivly comes in a few months.

I would keep the UTH on. I allow my geckos to thermoregulate themselves, so they go into hibernation with out any influence on my part.

Michael

Old 10-25-2004, 10:18 AM   #3
ShannanD25
PA has been dreary as of late.

My gang is slowing down as well. I'm letting them do what ever it is their instincts are telling them. I thought about adding some UVA/UVB lighting but I figure nature is the best light for now...

FL would be nice this time of year!

Old 10-25-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
lostkauze
It is

Its nice when its not raining, 80% humidity and less then 85*.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
gothra
Just wondering how much less does your gecko eats during this weather change? I have 2 geckos that had been eating next to nothing for almost 3 weeks (lost 1-2g in a month), this is my third year through this but I'm still very worried......

Old 10-26-2004, 07:38 AM   #6
tim5580
yeah

mine isn't eating hardly anything, keeping his weight though

Old 10-26-2004, 09:51 AM   #7
TooManyBurmese
I'm in PA also, and the sun hasn't been out in forever it seems! I don't have geckos but a lot of my other critters have been slowing down!

Old 10-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
Tribal Gecko
I'm in NY, so have been experienceing the same as a lot of you in PA with no sun for about...3 weeks now it seems. But most of mine are eating pretty well, though I do have two albino's that have slowed way down and have not ate anything in about 2 weeks. I was planning a vet check up soon anyway, so will have it looked at, but they are keeping there weight just fine, and going to the bathroom a small bit, So I dunno. Hopefully it's just cause of the crappy weather.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #9
TooManyBurmese
I think I have slowed down more than my critters hee hee. I have put 100 hours on my video game in the past two weeks! I am such a loser hee hee

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!