Congress debates plastic gun ban - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 12-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
Focal
Well, if you are offended by TSA search procedures, clench your butt cheeks because allowing unregulated printed guns is only going to give them more reason. As an avid gun owner, I may be the only one that sees a potential problem with this. Metal detectors in schools would no longer be effective and your children will be subjected to daily TSA-style searches soon.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Celtic Constrictors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
Well, if you are offended by TSA search procedures, clench your butt cheeks because allowing unregulated printed guns is only going to give them more reason. As an avid gun owner, I may be the only one that sees a potential problem with this. Metal detectors in schools would no longer be effective and your children will be subjected to daily TSA-style searches soon.
Funny you bring up metal detectors in schools... That wasn't a thing when I was growing up (and I'm not that old, just 29). What is the purpose? Seriously, what's the purpose of all the extra security and scrutiny?

I have yet to see a news report that says "School metal detector stopped attempted murdered in his tracks. 20+ lives have been spared."

No, what it does is it stresses everyone out, costs taxpayers money, and creates the facade that everyone is safe.

Arm the teachers, protect the students.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine84 View Post
Funny you bring up metal detectors in schools... That wasn't a thing when I was growing up (and I'm not that old, just 29). What is the purpose? Seriously, what's the purpose of all the extra security and scrutiny?

I have yet to see a news report that says "School metal detector stopped attempted murdered in his tracks. 20+ lives have been spared."
Prevention is immeasurable.

http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=54

Quote:
Overall, 50 states, the District of Columbia (D.C.), Puerto Rico, and outlying areas reported data under the GFSA for 2005-06 and 2006-07. They reported that they expelled 3,028 students determined to have brought a firearm to school in 2005-06, and 2,695 students in 2006-07. The expulsion rate was 6.1 students per every 100,000 students in 2005-06 and 5.5 per 100,000 in 2006-07.

In 2005-06, more than half of the expulsions (55 percent) involved students determined to have brought a handgun to school, 12 percent involved a rifle or shotgun, and 34 percent were for some other type of firearm or other destructive device, such as bombs, grenades or starter pistols.
In 2006-07, more than half of the expulsions (53 percent) involved a handgun, 10 percent of the incidents involved a rifle or shotgun, and 37 percent were for some other type of firearm or other destructive device.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
WebSlave
Quote:
Arm the teachers, protect the students.
That sort of thinking will give anti-gunners heart attacks. They know that the only way they can defeat support for the Second Amendment is by forming young minds into the mold of "guns are bad". What better place to do that than the school yards? The gun-free zones really had nothing at all with trying to protect the children. It's brain wash conditioning....

Hopefully the kids will be smart enough to figure out that normally the only places where wholesale gun slaughters take place are in places where guns are not supposed to be permitted. Seriously it doesn't take a genius to put that two and two together......

Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
Well, I'm looking at the raw data, and have to ask something. There are three categories listed for banned items. (1) Handguns, (2) Rifles or Shotguns, and (3) Other Firearms. What are "other firearms"?

The reason I ask is because, for instance, Kansas is showing 39 students expelled in the 2006-2007 data, ALL of them having "other firearms". I just can't figure out WHAT they had on them to get expelled for from the data if it wasn't handguns, rifles, or shotguns. And KANSAS????

Old 12-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
Focal
I hate to classify it as an "other firearm," but they are probably referring to pellet guns, toy guns and those little cigarette lighters that look like handguns I'm sure to beef stats. When I was in school, I actually witnessed several students "excused" for those lighters, although now, it seems like nothing compared to what they are expelling kids for.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
Celtic Constrictors
"Overall, 50 states, the District of Columbia (D.C.), Puerto Rico, and outlying areas reported data under the GFSA for 2005-06 and 2006-07. They reported that they expelled 3,028 students determined to have brought a firearm to school in 2005-06, and 2,695 students in 2006-07. The expulsion rate was 6.1 students per every 100,000 students in 2005-06 and 5.5 per 100,000 in 2006-07.

In 2005-06, more than half of the expulsions (55 percent) involved students determined to have brought a handgun to school, 12 percent involved a rifle or shotgun, and 34 percent were for some other type of firearm or other destructive device, such as bombs, grenades or starter pistols.
In 2006-07, more than half of the expulsions (53 percent) involved a handgun, 10 percent of the incidents involved a rifle or shotgun, and 37 percent were for some other type of firearm or other destructive device. "

Let's take those numbers and make them more realistic. 3,028 were expelled 2005-2006 in all 50 states plus Puerto Rico etc. Of those, 37% were for "Other Firearm or destructive device". Let's take out the firecrackers and toy guns.

This brings us to a number of 1,908 expulsions for real firearms infractions (allegedly).

How many of these were innocent mistakes? I had a rifle rack in my pickup truck in high school and there were times I forgot to remove my shotgun from going hunting. I hid it under the seat and locked my truck. I betcha another 40% or more of these incidences were accidental.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Focal
Quote:
How many of these were innocent mistakes?
My point wasn't in regards to intentional shootings, but the effort involved to fix these innocent mistakes and how it could lead to further invasive searches. Searches when I was in school consisted of a quick swipe of the handheld metal detector and could soon be private searches. Innocent mistakes happen all the time and I think that is the main motive behind these searches. We lose far more children to innocent mistakes than intentional shootings.

http://kidshootings.blogspot.com/

Old 12-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
Celtic Constrictors
I think Benjamin Franklin said it most eloquently when he said "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Our forefathers had some serious foresight.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
Focal
Quote:
I think Benjamin Franklin said it most eloquently when he said "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Our forefathers had some serious foresight.
That quote has nothing to do with civil liberties, unfortunately.

I understand where you are going with it though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!