Questions about Scanning photos. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-12-2003, 08:30 PM   #1
John Albrecht
Questions about Scanning photos.

Hi all,
I have a new digital camera and I plan on using it aplenty this summer to post some pictures.
However, I have stacks of really great 35mm photos that I would like to scan to capture digitally.
My question is; is it really worth it? Will I be able to capture these photos with any quality? How much do I need to spend on a scanner to really do this decently?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

-John A.

Old 02-13-2003, 02:56 AM   #2
WebSlave
John,

I had this same sort of question in my mind a couple of years ago. I had been using a really cranky flatbed scanner for my prints that I came to hate, and actually bought an attachment for it to allow me to scan in transparencies. It did just as bad of a job with them as it did for prints! I eventually dropped that darned contraption off at the local good will and drove away quickly so it wouldn't follow me home.

But I had literally dozens of carousels FULL of slides that I wanted to digitize. I did come reading up and found a unit that had very good reviews and seemed well liked and capable. It is a dedicated slide/negative scanner made by Polaroid. The model is the SprintScan 4000. It scans in slides and negatives at 4,000 dpi. When I bought it I was pretty skeptical after my experiences with the flatbed scanner, but after scanning in a few slides (BTW, this thing generates a 50 megabyte file for EACH slide!), and viewing the results, I was more than impressed! It produced superb results! Matter of fact, I just printed one of those scan files the other day on a new printer I got and the results are excellent.

Bear in mind that scanning in slides is tedious. I have a holder that came with the unit, but it only holds four slides at a time. So scanning in a fair library of slides will take a substantial commitment of your time.

I have also heard the Nikon slide scanners had excellent reviews lately, but back when I was in the market for one, there were some rumors flying around about the Nikon units available at that time being prone to short lifespans.

Anyway, hope this helps you some.

Old 02-19-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
cavu
Photos & Scanners

John

You will need three things to produce acceptable digitilized photos.

1. First and formost, a good photo. A poorly exposed or fuzzy photo will produce poor digital photos.

2. a good photo editing program. There are many excellent programs available, the problem is the learning curve associated with their use. If you need a particular program, let me know what it is. Odds are I have it.

3. Last, a scanner. Almost all scanners made today will do the job just fine! Wal Mart sells USB scanners for about $70.00. Again, the learning curve is the big problem. Be patient and you can capture your photos and minupliate them as you please.

If you can afford one, a high end digital camera will solve most of your problems and the problems associated with normal film photography. You need at least a 3 megapixel camera (IMHO), the higher resolution you can afford the better.

As a professional photographer for over 30 years, I prefer Nikon, and plan to upgrade to their 5MP camera soon, however, any of the major brands will fill the bill.

Hope this helps

Mike Blackston

Old 02-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Geoff
This Is an old thread

I've been using a Cannon 9950F for my 35mm slides. Very happy and its pretty fast using the firewire port. Up to 8 mounted slides.

Here Is an example of a slide I scanned.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=10446
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Geoff
A few more examples of scaned 35mm slides using cannon 9950F
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #6
Geoff
What the heck a few more. See I can snan 8 at one time up to 3200DPI with slides
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!