GTP Feeding Question - Need Exp. Herpers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
inocntkitn187
GTP Feeding Question - Need Exp. Herpers

Hello! We received two GTPs in a trade for some corn snakes. We have done some basic research, but nothing in depth. We have yet to find a forum as active and knowledgeable as the one we use for our corns. So, we are still newbies to these two. We have one set up with a small heat lamp (to raise air temp, not really for basking) and some moister holding substrates in an Exoterra. He has perches and a deep water dish. Seems pretty happy overall. But he has been refusing to eat lately. We tried nighttime and daytime feeding. Lots of "dancing" with a dead mouse and though he strikes at, he does NOT want to eat it. We thought it was an isolated issue, but now the female also isn't eating. She's a two year old (he's a yearling). She's always had a great appetite, but a nasty temperament, LOL. She does not have AS warm of a setup. She's housed in a rack that's heated by heat wire and while it was plenty warm enough for corn snakes, we aren't 100% sure it's enough for a GTP. She doesn't act lethargic, shows no physical signs of disease or illness, so we assume it's not hurting her too bad. I'd say she's probably close to room temp most of the time. Not ideal, but she usually eats and digests just fine. Anyhow, now she isn't eating either.

So I'm not real sure what's up. Is it the season/light change? Are they too cold (seriously doubt the male is)? Do they stop eating for weeks when they shed? Do they just strike sometimes, like corns?

I know it's a very newbie question and you are welcome to just direct me to a good article or even book where I can find the info. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Bullfrogz
I realize this is an older thread but I will put this out there for anyone else who is looking for THE source of Green Tree Python information.....go to this site here : http://moreliaviridis.yuku.com/directory#.UR4tp6VOTvI

Old 02-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Doomtrooper
You need to adres the heat issue GTP's need a hot spot of about 87 with a gradient down to about 78 so they can thermo regulate ..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!