IMPULSE BUY ON FAUNA!? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
AbsoluteApril
edit - just wanted to add - my first snake was an impulse buy with my roommate - it turned out okay but I understand the need to advise the person to research as much as possible first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHouse of Retics View Post

Had to throw the retic under the bus!! Lol

Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #22
Wolfy-hound
I don't see the issue... you want to crucify a person who posted on a REPTILE forum asking about different kinds of snakes that might be good for her son... asking experianced people for advice... because she MIGHT not keep the snake properly?

Really? And you MIGHT go rob a store, so we should assume you're a thief?

I say kudos for her asking questions. I'm all for any of the species she mentioned, if she gets good advice from members about how to properly keep them.

My boss got her first reptile when she attended a expo with me. It was a cham. You'd probably rant about that too... it's "not a beginner species" and how she was obviously going to kill it because she's not qualified to keep it in your high opinion.

BTW, she's got more chams, and cresties and now a beardie, all kept to the best specs. She researched about what they needed, asked several people at the show what she should have for them, and paid whatever it took to keep each animal in the best manner.

Instead of assuming the superior attitude and assuming she would be a horrible person and let any animal perish for lack of care... why not educate and offer knowledge and see someone bloom into a new herp-loving keeper.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #23
RepLover1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
It's their money, their wish, and their mistake to make if they choose to do so without knowing exactly what they are getting into. You should run for Congress, as this is exactly the sort of attitude they take about our freedoms. THEY know what is best for US.
So question, would u sell a snake to someone who you knew had no idea what they were getting themselves into? I think tree boas and Burmese python are very "cool" looking bu not dumb enough to get one as my first snake. It's not a puppy or kitty. These are the kind of people who get beautiful animals who are then malnutritioned and abused or thrown into the local lake. Laugh, but it happens.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #24
RepLover1022
BTW if she does her research and really does know what she's getting into then good for her...but true impulse buys make me mad...

Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #25
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike554 View Post
This lady is considering getting snakes which are way out of her and her son's league!
Out of their league?? And what makes you think that? Just because they may not know much about them now - when no purchase has been made - doesn't mean they wouldn't do the research, learn the care, and be great keepers. Heck, isn't the learning half the fun when someone gets into reptiles?

Quote:
Especially considering she isn't even trying to get or consider other easier snakes like Balls or Corns. Instead she is looking at big snakes.
I think the 3 options she posted were pretty reasonable. While I've never kept, or even researched, rubber boas, I'd say the kingsnake and the sand boa are probably easier to keep than a ball python. No, BPs aren't hard to keep...but even CB BPs that have been in the same care for years can randomly decide to go off food....that makes them a pain in the , and not necessarily the best for a first time keeper.
She's looking at big snakes? You just showed your cluelessness. I wouldn't be surprised to find that you don't know any more about the level of care of the species she mentioned than you do about the size. (btw - she even specified that she was only interested in species that would stay small...or did you just think she was so clueless that she mistakenly selected big snakes?)

Quote:
Thing is this is her first snake. If she did any research she would know that Balls and Corns are the begginer snakes not Rubbers,Sands, etc etc.
What's wrong with starting with something that interests her/her son?

Quote:
To be honest i'm not thinking of myself i'm thinking of the snake here. It could likly not be kept the right way which in turn would kill it.
Or, the kid could really get into it, learn a lot, and work hard to keep it. Granted, a lot of first timers don't fare very well...but that is the case with corns and balls, as well. Better to at least arm them with the information they need to give the snake the best chance, than to jump all over them and make them go it alone.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #26
Mike554
Out of their league?? And what makes you think that? Just because they may not know much about them now - when no purchase has been made - doesn't mean they wouldn't do the research, learn the care, and be great keepers. Heck, isn't the learning half the fun when someone gets into reptiles?

Lets see she said that she needed a snake quickly for her son's birthday. Doesn't sound like much research was done. That and she htought that BPs got big. I'm sorry but she should instead buy him a book on Corns or other snakes instead.

I think the 3 options she posted were pretty reasonable. While I've never kept, or even researched, rubber boas, I'd say the kingsnake and the sand boa are probably easier to keep than a ball python. No, BPs aren't hard to keep...but even CB BPs that have been in the same care for years can randomly decide to go off food....that makes them a pain in the , and not necessarily the best for a first time keeper.
She's looking at big snakes? You just showed your cluelessness. I wouldn't be surprised to find that you don't know any more about the level of care of the species she mentioned than you do about the size. (btw - she even specified that she was only interested in species that would stay small...or did you just think she was so clueless that she mistakenly selected big snakes?)

She seems like she was window shopping if she didn't know the size of the second most popular snake on the market. Also she was looking at Sands which while easier then the other two she picked which wasn't a king it was a Rosy. Neither the Rubber nor Rosy are the best to start off with.

What's wrong with starting with something that interests her/her son?
Ok if a kid liked a Rhino Iguana or a Sulcata Tort would you give it to a first timer? I really want Savs and Green Tree monitors but i'm starting with Ackies to learn the ropes of Monitors then get into the bigger species. Which most first-timers do.
Or, the kid could really get into it, learn a lot, and work hard to keep it. Granted, a lot of first timers don't fare very well...but that is the case with corns and balls, as well. Better to at least arm them with the information they need to give the snake the best chance, than to jump all over them and make them go it alone.
Sure AFTER he has the snake and it is to late.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #27
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepLover1022 View Post
So question, would u sell a snake to someone who you knew had no idea what they were getting themselves into? I think tree boas and Burmese python are very "cool" looking bu not dumb enough to get one as my first snake. It's not a puppy or kitty. These are the kind of people who get beautiful animals who are then malnutritioned and abused or thrown into the local lake. Laugh, but it happens.
Yes. Everyone has to start somewhere. I bought my first animals without really having a clue about how to take care of them. But I learned. And look where it led me.

And I have news for you. Just about EVERYONE who bought exotic animals before the early '80s really didn't have much of any idea what they were getting into. But look what that lack of initial knowledge produced that all of YOU can now purchase along with care sheets detailing what was learned in the school of hard knocks.

Luckily for you they didn't let this lack of knowledge stand in the way of them deciding to LEARN what they needed to know. I guess it just comes as surprising news for some people to hear that SOME people really can learn as they go and don't have to be spoon fed everything about something they develop an interest in. In some respects, it might actually be beneficial for newbies to have a fresh and unbiased perspective about things. They might actually think of something to try that could be successful that WE have never thought of before, and didn't try to break out of the intellectual rut we are in because to us, it's all "tried and true".

Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #28
bsharrah
I no longer agree with the whole "beginner snake first" mentality. If you are willing to do the research, ANY snake can be a good first snake. I just don't agree with the idea of starting with a corn snake when you really want a chondro for example. Keeping one doesn't necessarily prepare you for the other.

When the topic comes up, I often recall what a weapons instructor told us in basic training. He said it is much easier to teach someone who has never fired a gun before to shoot properly than someone who has been shooting most of their lives because there is no "re-training" involved to counteract the bad habits and poor assumptions.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #29
RepLover1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Yes. Everyone has to start somewhere. I bought my first animals without really having a clue about how to take care of them. But I learned. And look where it led me.

And I have news for you. Just about EVERYONE who bought exotic animals before the early '80s really didn't have much of any idea what they were getting into. But look what that lack of initial knowledge produced that all of YOU can now purchase along with care sheets detailing what was learned in the school of hard knocks.

Luckily for you they didn't let this lack of knowledge stand in the way of them deciding to LEARN what they needed to know. I guess it just comes as surprising news for some people to hear that SOME people really can learn as they go and don't have to be spoon fed everything about something they develop an interest in. In some respects, it might actually be beneficial for newbies to have a fresh and unbiased perspective about things. They might actually think of something to try that could be successful that WE have never thought of before, and didn't try to break out of the intellectual rut we are in because to us, it's all "tried and true".

I really don't want to argue with u rich. I understand what your saying but this is not the 80s and this isn't a snake guru. It's a housewife. I'm sure she has a billion other things to do than sit and figure everything out after she buys the snake.

And fyi I am a learn as u go type person but when it comes to animals I rather play it safe than sorry. I don't want to get something I don't know how to take care of and make it suffer. I guess that makes me less intelligent as you.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #30
ShortStack
I hope this link works, but if not, my apologies-

Ladies and gentlemen, what kind of snake do you see here?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Our good pal Mike here would tell you it's a BP. More than once, in fact. At least that's what he did in chat when this picture was posted. Now, are we really going to let him be the judge and jury on if someone is making the right choices on buying an animal? I have never claimed to be the most knowledgeable person around, but even I know this is NOT a ball python. If he's going to be pointing fingers on people needing to do their research, maybe he should do some himself before he buys a baby "bp" such as this.

I also have to agree- Who is to say what a good first time animal is, regardless of what it is? Whether it's a dog, snake, bird, or whatever, if the proper research is done, anything can be a great first time animal. Sadly many people don't do the appropriate amount of research, but that then becomes up to the seller to be responsible enough to decide if someone is capable of properly caring for an animal. If the seller is just out to make money, then they will sell to any Joe Blow on the street with the cash. But, if they are truly concerned with the well being of the animal, then they will take the time to talk to the potential buyer and find out what they know about keeping that particular animal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!