Sexing a BP - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-17-2006, 12:27 AM   #11
Skunky
On the topic, I was at a breeder yesterday actually checking out my potential new baby ball, and a fellow came in with an adult BP wanting to give it back to the breeder (son couldnt look after it). The breeder's assistant then took the snake (upside down) and bent the snake around the cloaca to 'sex' it. I saw some liquid squirt out and she decided from what she saw that it was a male or female, I cant remember. Is that popping or something else?

Old 01-17-2006, 12:34 AM   #12
shrap
They either popped it or just checked for sperm plugs. Both procedures are very, very similar.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:49 AM   #13
Skunky
That really doesnt look comfortable for the snake!! Can imagine you can easily do damage with that technique if you dont know what you're doing!

Old 01-17-2006, 01:00 AM   #14
shrap
You absolutely can. You can by probing for that matter too if you don't know what you are doing.

I don't like to sex adults by popping though. I probe. Popping has always made me nervous that I was going to hurt them. Now all my hatchlings I pop them right after their first shed. It is real easy because they do not have the muscle strength/development to put up any resistance.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:03 AM   #15
Skunky
Guess since I'm not going to be breeding my BP (yet?!) its not really important to verify the sex..so wont risk anything myself. Maybe I'll get the vet to check when I take my baby for her first check-up!

Old 01-17-2006, 01:34 AM   #16
LadyOhh
That sounds like a good idea. You can also go back to the breeder and ask them to pop for you. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2006, 09:37 AM   #17
evansnakes
Rich, my comments actually mirrored those of comments you have made. I go out of my way to help people and respond to questions on this forum and others but when the same topic is posted, even at the same time and the person posting does not even look to see if it is an existing thread, that is just lazy. He initiated 13 threads in a couple days. Many redundant. I was not trying to limit discussion as I often try to encourage it. I was trying to get somebody to not be so selfish and waste people's time and not appreciate this forum as a valuable resource and from the 6 private messages and emails I got from 6 different members echoing my comment, I am not alone. Also Rich, you should ask him to pay you money to sponsor this forum as I and others have done instead of insulting me for it. In the future I would expect that somebody who is so computer oriented would know not to read tone into a post when there was none there. I simply feel that answering the same question for people over and over again takes away from the discussion and by the limited number of hits and responses he has gotten to his threads people using this forum are not interested in the redundance either.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #18
evansnakes
He initiated 4 different distinct threads on the same day, all about feeding ball pythons. So I am the only one who feels that is redundant and wasteful?

Old 01-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #19
Cat_72
I agree Evan....and I must admit I was rather taken aback at the response you got from Rich.

4 threads about the same topic in the same forum on the same day....? I understand he has questions, and he doesn't feel the need to use the "search" feature, one could at least be courteous enough to keep all the related questions on a single thread maybe?

Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #20
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by evansnakes
Rich, my comments actually mirrored those of comments you have made. I go out of my way to help people and respond to questions on this forum and others but when the same topic is posted, even at the same time and the person posting does not even look to see if it is an existing thread, that is just lazy. He initiated 13 threads in a couple days. Many redundant. I was not trying to limit discussion as I often try to encourage it. I was trying to get somebody to not be so selfish and waste people's time and not appreciate this forum as a valuable resource and from the 6 private messages and emails I got from 6 different members echoing my comment, I am not alone. Also Rich, you should ask him to pay you money to sponsor this forum as I and others have done instead of insulting me for it. In the future I would expect that somebody who is so computer oriented would know not to read tone into a post when there was none there. I simply feel that answering the same question for people over and over again takes away from the discussion and by the limited number of hits and responses he has gotten to his threads people using this forum are not interested in the redundance either.
Evan,

Unless I am SEVERELY mistaken, the ONLY time I have had comment about people posting redundant threads was in relation to the BOI. Please correct me if I am wrong. And if you will take the time to check further, you will probably find that MANY times I have lamented the fact that the discussion forums on this site go largely unused. Again, correct me if I am wrong.

So when someone is actually USING a discussion forum here, do you think it is really a good idea for someone to try to DISCOURAGE that person from trying to engage people in discussions here?

I am sorry you have an issue with some person here posting their questions, but it appears that your concerns are contrary to mine on this issue. I would like these discussion forums to be used more frequently. I don't see the harm in someone posting the questions that are on their mind. But I do see the harm of some other member(s) jumping on someone by making comments like you did in reference to their posting here. There is no power in this universe that I am aware of that is forcing you, or anyone else, to read that person's posts. But please correct me if I am wrong about that.

MANY people have commented to me about the negative tone they have received from some people in relation to their posting here on this site. YOUR post that I commented on had been reported by a few other members and I simply reiterated their thoughts in those reported notices. So I am not alone, either, Evan.

You don't have to like what someone else posts here, but you certainly have no right to blast them for it and discourage their participation simply because they are a beginner and excited and interested about this. If you have no wish to help them, then at least don't try to discourage them.

I do hope that this is not too much to ask.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!