Illegally Collecting Herps - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
Junkyard
Illegally Collecting Herps

I was thinking the other day about the current poll here on who people see as being the biggest contributers to herpetology. There have been people in the past that have illegally collected reptiles in other countries and brought them here. I was speaking to someone that strongly believes that if it was not for these collectors, we would not have some of the reptiles we have today. What they did two decades ago set the standard and growth for the reptile industry today, they are responsible for our collection, if they did not break the laws we would not enjoy what we now have. Some people would consider them shady, scammers, scumbags, poacher, etc because of what they had to do to get new reptiles here. What are your thoughts?

Old 08-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
kmurphy
That's a tough one. Just last month I heard that a Florida importer had some B.c. sabogae, with some "creative paperwork". So evidently it is ongoing. I have to say that I look at it differently depending upon why the animal is illegal to import. Some places like all of Australia don't allow the export of their animals alive but let them be killed for the fur and leather trade. Peru also doesn't allow the export of animals even if they're common.
Let me say this though, I wouldn't knowingly purchase an illegal animal regardless of why it was illegal.

Kevin

Old 08-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
kmurphy
Follow-up - Of the high profile cases in the past 5 yrs or so. I have a real problem with DH as I cannot agree with what he did. However, I don't have so much of a problem with TC just for the reasons in your leading post.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Junkyard
Even though some of these importers broke the law, should we give them credit for what we are able to own today? I would not want to purchase an illegal animal, but at one time, someone had to import bearded dragons from Australia.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
kmurphy
Quote:
someone had to import bearded dragons from Australia.
Along with many of the carpet pythons, diamond pythons, Madagascan boids and I am sure quite a few others.

I guess you could say that those that condemn illegal importation but at the same time raise beardies are hypocrites. The problem is illegal importation gives us a bad name. The majority of the people already think we are all weirdos. So couple this with the attitude that we are also unscrupulous. Is the negative publicity worth the occasional new species we may introduce to the pet trade?

Old 08-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
The BoidSmith
Michael,

I'm not sure what time-frame you are discusiing but remember that CITES was first signed in 1973. At that point it included a limited number of species recognized as threatened, and not every country adhered to the concept immediately. There was no such thing as illegal traffic of animals before then. You could come in a ship from Africa with boxes and cages with animals and they would just look at you as a weirdo but not as someone doing something illegal. Most people in this site were not even born then while some were already receiving price lists in the mail with local and exotic reptiles!

Regards.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Junkyard
I am talking of those that import illegally today. I was just thinking about an article I read of some major acreage of land being wiped out for mining. This was in the September Reptiles magazine, supposedly no on found an rare species of animal, so they are going ahead with the demolition of so much land and wildlife. At some point, there may be another species gone into extinction, possibly another species never known about. I am not condoning smuggling of animals, but there seems to be a valid reason to allow exporting of them out if a country that wants to bulldoze their home and dig it up for their own wants.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
Tell me about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
I am talking of those that import illegally today. I was just thinking about an article I read of some major acreage of land being wiped out for mining. This was in the September Reptiles magazine, supposedly no on found an rare species of animal, so they are going ahead with the demolition of so much land and wildlife. At some point, there may be another species gone into extinction, possibly another species never known about. I am not condoning smuggling of animals, but there seems to be a valid reason to allow exporting of them out if a country that wants to bulldoze their home and dig it up for their own wants.
You don't need to go to far away countries, we can see this happening in our very own backyard. When we moved to our house 3 years ago there were toads and garter snakes in our garden. Today we have a new house being built every month (I'm not exaggerating) around us, and we rarely see an herp anymore. Take into consideration that we live in a rural area and not in the middle of a city.

Regards.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
number1steakfan
You dont need to import animals who are happy where they are. Most areas you will see wildlife i even see garter snakes a couples times in the summer mowing my lawn or being outside. You dont have to distrurb them.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
Junkyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1steakfan
You dont need to import animals who are happy where they are. Most areas you will see wildlife i even see garter snakes a couples times in the summer mowing my lawn or being outside. You dont have to distrurb them.
That is kind of a problem when man wants to destroy their homes. Money talks more then these animals do and when greed sets in nothing has a chance. Growing up where I did, I never saw a wild snake, they have been removed from the suburban homes for so long that it was a rarity if they ever did show up. Lizards were tough to come by too.

Those that control the wildlife population sure do not seem to care much enough to fight for the rights of animals. Sure they have officers to police people's activities, yet they will not police the government when acres upon acres of land is on the verge of being whipped out so more money can be put into the bureaucrats pockets. Instead it is those individual people that are being policed that have to stand up to keep land and animals from being destroyed.

Am I wrong with that last statement? If so I sure hope there is more being done by those in charge.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!