Flukers Heat Pads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 01-30-2003, 10:18 PM   #1
gila7150
Flukers Heat Pads

I just wanted to give a heads up on this product. I recently purchased 5 Fluker's Ultra Deluxe heating pads.

The front of the box reads:
"Operates at 20 degrees F above room temperature"
"Provides a proper temperature gradient for your pet...safe for all reptiles"

While I placed it under my Neodesha and measured the temp on the floor of the cage at 139 degrees F after only 10 minutes. The room temp was only 70 degrees F. (so this was almost 70 degrees over room temperature and probably would have gone higher if I'd left it on longer. ) This was not a isolated defective pad...I tried all 5.

Obviously this product can't be used without some type of temperature controller despite the claims on the box. I emailed the company a few days ago to voice my concern but I haven't got a response back yet.

Fortunately, I measured the temps before placing animals in the cages. I'm not saying the product is good or bad...just not what they advertise. I just don't want to see someone's animals get burned because they trust the info on the box and Fluker's website.
Chris Raden

Old 01-30-2003, 10:52 PM   #2
JasonBrennan
Aren't you suppossed to put any heating device on a thermostat or rheostat? I get your point about what they printed on the box, thou. I don't know anything about this company, having never used any of their products.

Just play it safe and use a thermostat or rheostat on any heating device you intend on using.

Jason Brennan

Old 01-30-2003, 11:03 PM   #3
thomas davis
well as with ALL heating devices around herps there does NEED to be a temp. control device ,rheostat,thermostat thats pretty common knowledge,i beleive it is fraudulent advertising to say otherwise ,but there is no excuse for ignorace either KNOWLEDGE is the KEY,but thanks for the heads up ,hopefully this co. will rethink its marketing stategy and state the TRUTH,,,,which is again ALL HEATING ELEMENTS TO BE USED W/HERPS NEEDS A TEMP.CONTROLLER OF SOME KIND !!! thomas davis T&S reptile farm

Old 01-30-2003, 11:35 PM   #4
gila7150
I totally agree and plan to use a temp controller (I'm ordering a Helix for my rack and will probably use some Zoomed temp controllers that I already have for these pads.)
I just thought it was kind of irresponsible to make these claims (20 degrees above room temp) right on the front of the box. The instructions don't mention anything about a temperature controller and actually say:
"You will be able to control the temperature in your tank by increasing or decreasing the thickness of the bedding material"

(unless of course, your snake likes to burrow in the substrate)

This is the description on Fluker's website:
"Made of heavy, bonded vinyl, these heaters operate at 20 degrees above room temperature, ensuring a safe climate for reptiles. Protected by a thermal cut-out in case of overheating, under tank heaters will not burn or shock."

I'm not really taking issue with the product...I just think the info on the box and the website could be misleading to someone who didn't know better. These things are sold in pet stores to people of all experience levels and I think they should be a little more forthcoming with their customers to prevent needless injury.
Chris Raden

Old 01-31-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
meretseger
Is there any good cheap way to hook a rheostat up to those heating pads? There's no way I'm paying 20$ for the Zoomed one for each tank but I don't know what the alternatives are. I've been keeping snakes on those things for a while without any problems... yet, but I'd love to be able to control the temps better.

E. Benner

Old 01-31-2003, 10:50 AM   #6
HerpMasters Inc.
rheostat

A rheostat is basically a dimmer switch like for your living room lighting. Most rheostats have nice fancy readouts etc to set by but if you want to go inexpensive an average dimmer switch will work.

Old 02-01-2003, 04:53 AM   #7
meretseger
My husband and I found dimmer switches and thermostats at the hardware store, but we both have NO idea how to hook them up to anything. It looks like we have to cut the heat pad wire and splice on the dimmer. Is that accurate? Should we get a book in 'messing with electricity and not starting fires' first? Should I start this thread somewhere else?

E.B.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!