Helix Controllers Thermostats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 06-27-2003, 08:38 AM   #1
lolaophidia
Thumbs up Helix Controllers Thermostats

Recently purchased a new Helix DBS-1000 and upon plugging it in, found that it wouldn't come off of Check System status. The seller referred me back to Helix for resolution.

Helix responded VERY quickly! After attempting to diagnose the problem over the phone, they told me to ship the defective thermostat back on their account and that they would fed ex a new one out to me. I received the replacement in two days, and it's working great. Excellent response and resolution.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:19 AM   #2
gila7150
I'm glad to hear that they offer good customer service because I have been considering the purchase of that same thermostat.
I was wondering....I know that it can control heating products up to 500 watts but how many items can you plug into it? Are the outlets where you plug in your heat source in grounded? (which would enable you to plug in a multi outlet strip with 5 or 6 heat pads?)
Thanks,
Chris

Old 06-27-2003, 09:32 AM   #3
lolaophidia
Here's what they say in the information they sent...
" If more than three outlets are needed, an adapter block, or standard power strip with a ground adapter can be plugged into one of the Controller's outlets. Avoid using plug strips with built-in surge protectors as these produce a short circuit if a surge occurs and may cause an internal fuse to blow."

Old 06-27-2003, 09:35 AM   #4
Tribal Prop
Helix thermostats...

Chris, the units are capable of controlling up to 500 watts and they only have a single plug in which to plug the hear tape (or what ever) into it. We use a power bar with multiple plugs to expand their single outlet. What you will need to do is see what your heating element is rated at (example 3 inch mylar flexwatt heat tape uses 10 watts per foot) therefore 50 foot of 3 inch mylar flexwatt heat tape would equal 500 watts! They do sell expansion modules that will increase the maximum capacity of the system. Be sure to check how many watts per foot for each respective size of mylar. We use helix thermostats and recommend they 100%, they have never failed us.

Brian & Laura Hamel
Tribal Propagation

Old 06-27-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
gila7150
Thanks for the info guys! Sounds like it should work out perfectly for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!