Help!!! Question on humidity issues with eggs!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
redhood23
Help!!! Question on humidity issues with eggs!!!

Ok, here is the issue. I have been breeding snakes for years and have never delt with this problem, I don't know if anyone else has.

I had left and gone to new york for 6 days and had a friend taking care of my snakes and removing eggs and putting them in my incubator. All the eggs (7 clutches) in the bator looked good when I got home except for one, they were all caved in and getting hard. I noticed the container was open and the humidity in the container dropped to 35%. It must have opened either the night I left or the night after when they went into the incubator. All of the eggs were caved in on both sides, but still had veins in them. I bumped the humidity back up, it softened the shells a bit. Do you think they will bulk back up? Do you think the eggs are still good?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivergecko
The eggs should still develop. I would keep the substrate moist, and track the development.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
redhood23
That is what I am doing, but do you think they will bulk up? Will this cause birth defects?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivergecko
Defects may be an issue depending how much moisture the eggs lost. It could also depend on how far along the eggs are, loosing that much moisture would be much worse for an older clutch.
Just make sure you keep your humidity up for the remainder and keep your fingers crossed.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
redhood23
The eggs were laid on 3/1 and the issue started either the 21st or 22nd

Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
MrBig
I had a similiar issue when I went on vacation. My friend was checking the snakes and 1 laid a couple days before I got back and he never saw. By the time I got home the eggs were hardened and shrunken and all viable eggs made it to full maturity. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Focal
I don't think they are going to bulk back up. You may have to cut them a few days earlier and add water depending on how shriveled they are. I'm interested to hear how they turn out. What day are they on?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Rivergecko
I agree with cutting at day 55 but I wouldn't add water to the eggs. Just keep your substrate moist.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
snakesRkewl
if the eggs are dried out after cutting you'll NEED to add water as Nick says, adding more humidity won't fix the lack of moisture in the egg.
Good luck!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
redhood23
Today is day 27 for these eggs. So you guys say I should cut on day 55? I will take pics of the eggs tonight when I get home.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!