Indian star tortoise - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 04-21-2003, 12:03 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
Indian star tortoise

Here's one of my Indian stars. These are great little guys to keep.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
DragonDavy
Thumbs up

He looks awesome.
I have a Sri Lankan.

Old 08-20-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
turtlepimp
Pretty star.I wound up selling mine as they didn't acclimate well to South Florida

Old 08-20-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
DragonDavy
Stars are great IMO.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
Wu-Gwei
STARS!! My favourite turtle...

Cheers,
JJ

Old 10-28-2004, 03:08 AM   #6
PokerKen
Hi all,im new to this forum.Had a question.Have two star tortoise with me for around 3yrs but it seen they dun grow bigger.Whats happening?Heard that star tortoise need to be place on to a tray of salt water in order to let them pass out germs from their stomach which i did not try as i wonder if its truth,sounds funny right....Can anione guide.thks
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
ray.p.mendoza429
post removed - inappropriate advertising
hhmoore

Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
chairman
I would recommend against soaking your tortoise in "salt" water. If you think your tortoise has parasites, see a vet and get the appropriate medication.

From the shell pattern, it almost looks like you have an Indian Star and not a Burmese Star. Indian stars stay much smaller than the Burmese, and I have heard that the average length of a male Indian is around 6". The females do usually get a couple inches larger. So, if you do have a male Indian Star, I'd say that he's smaller than expected (or you have a large hand), but possibly within a 'normal' range.

However, you should really double check your husbandry just to make see if there's anything that you can tweak. Cold tortoises, hungry tortoises, tortoises that don't get UVB, and dehydrated tortoises don't grow the way they should. With Stars I'd think you'd have a RI on your hands if they're too cool, but it usually doesn't hurt to bump up the temperature a few degrees to see if that prompts growth or increases the apetite. You could also try increasing the amount of food offered, or offering mazuri, to help stimulate growth.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
zzzdanz
You're a little late Mike...that was posted in 2004

Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
chairman
Wow, how'd I miss that... I choose to shift the blame to the silly spammer that bumped this post to the top of the forum.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!