rosy questions? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
dron2124
rosy questions?

I have been thinking of getting ether a rosy boa or a corn snake and I am leaning towards a rosy. The problem is in the past two days I have been reading a lot of conflicting things on them. I have read that they are the calmest snake as well as that they are very nippy. I have also read that they are one fo the best feeders as well as they go on long hunger strikes. So i guess my questions are is this a local thing or just some thing that is a once in a while thing, since each snake is different and has different personalities?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
hadenglock
Rosy's are definitely a great starter snake and is often underestimated. Most of the time, these "hunger strikes" are caused by seasonal changes or when breeding season hits. These things do pass however and it is completely natural. Im not sure about the differences from one locality to the next, but i have had no problems keeping them. They are a very docile snake and normally only strike if food is somehow involved. Either way i dont see them being anymore difficult to maintain than a corn snake.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenglock View Post
Rosy's are definitely a great starter snake and is often underestimated. Most of the time, these "hunger strikes" are caused by seasonal changes or when breeding season hits. These things do pass however and it is completely natural. Im not sure about the differences from one locality to the next, but i have had no problems keeping them. They are a very docile snake and normally only strike if food is somehow involved. Either way i dont see them being anymore difficult to maintain than a corn snake.
Agreed, and I have kept plenty of both species.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
InterExotics
I keep three different localties. My adults will go off feed when I cool them for the winter, but that is completely normal. None of mine have ever nipped at me, unless I was holding food (oops). I haven't really heard of rosy boas being known for being nippy, but every snake is an individual. I have a cornsnake that doesn't take well to handling at all... then again my other two corns don't mind it at all. All 6 of my rosies are very laid back.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!