ETB defecation difficulty - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-25-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
beto
ETB defecation difficulty

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum, looks like there's lots of good brains here to pick from.
I have an adult female ETB that I've owned for 3 or 4 months. She seems pretty healthy, eats every 2-3 weeks and was defecating about every 2 weeks or so. Lately she's been "off-schedule" though. She was getting eady to shed and so wouldn't eat for a while, and also stopped defecating. Since she was getting ready to shed I put her in the shower pretty regularly, which should have "loosened her up", but it didn't. I also make sure she gets plenty of exercise cruising around a room, climbing etc. This has done the trick in the past as well. Now I think she should have to go pretty bad. I keep her well misted and she seems well hydrated, full skin etc. Towards her vent she is looking pretty "full", and when I touch her there it feels for lack of a better word "juicy". I don't want to give her any more food until she takes care of business so I don't have to deal with a prolapse or anything like that. I thought about giving her a baby chick or something though as I've heard that loosens them up. Any ideas, or should I keep up the exercise/shower/no more meals routine until she goes?
Thanks

Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
bsharrah
First, welcome to the forum. Second, it does not appear to be a concern, based on the information presented. It appears it was defecating between each meal. This is ideal but not the norm, in my opinion. I have had more experience with gtp’s than etb’s but usually do not get concerned until the animal hasn’t defecated in a couple months (and is eating regularly). The fact that it feels “juicy” gives me even less of a concern. I would be more worried if it felt hard, indicating a possible blockage. Personally, I would continue its normal feeding schedule and just monitor it.

Bart

Old 08-29-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Trefenwyd
I would suggest letting her defecate before feeding her again. Feeding her before she's taken care of that can only make matters worse with ETBs.

Take it from someone who knows.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
beto
Luckily she just went, there was a ton of urate with lots of crystals. Guess I got lucky and need to bump up the humidity. Thanks for the advice !

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!