FedEx Waiver agreement contract question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
FamilyZoo
FedEx Waiver agreement contract question

We got our paperwork today to sign.
Para j. States basically that this for business to business only, no residential delivery.
Anyone else have this paragraph? Any way around it?
Thanks

Old 06-13-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Mike Greathouse
No, that is included in all of the contracts.
It became a major point of contention at one time, but the legal dept at Fedex would not budge on the issue. In the end, it's still better then no approved door to door shipping method at all.

Don't you think?

Old 06-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
FamilyZoo
I agree that its better then nothing.
Not sure I would call it an "approved door to door shipping method", but I'm sure it beats whats available at this time.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Mike Greathouse
By "approved door to door shipping method" I meant approved by the carrier.
As opposed to shipping against company policy.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:57 PM   #5
CJBianco
What this really means...

The phrase "business to business shipping only" is a bit misleading. It should more appropriately read: "no residential delivery".

The difference rests in the alternative pick-up option. You do not have to ship to a business only. You may have the package held at the local FedEx station for customer pick-up...just like with Delta Dash.

This is a wonderful alternative. You don't have to worry about the animal bouncing around for three extra hours on a hot truck. And the customer may receive the animal that much sooner.

And the business delivery is no real problem. Almost every customer I've ever had requested delivery to their place of business anyway...regardless of the shipping company.

FedEx, even with the new rules and regulations, still beats every other shipping company out there.

Sign...ship...sleep.

It's that simple.

Enjoy!

Chris Bianco
(864) 706-7399
cjbianco@charter.net

Old 06-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
Jim O
I work out of my home 90% of the time and have a small closet..erm office that I use rarely but it's a business address and a place to meet people that I prefer not to meet at home. As part of the service, I share front desk and secretarial support with about 30 other small businesses (the technical name is an "executive office suite"). FedEx and UPS automatically deliver all packages to the front desk which is one floor above my space. Needless to say there are a lot of people there, including the staff and other business owners, who would not want a box that says "Live Harmless Reptiles" all over it delivered there or sitting there for even 5 minutes so having packages shipped there is not an option for me. Fortunately my local FedEx and UPS guys know me and don't make a scene when packages come to my home.

I have also received packages at the local UPS distribution center and it works very well as it is close. FedEx is practically at the airport and if I'm going to drive all the way over there I'd rather pay $30 more (if that) and have the package sent Delta Dash. At least you know the animal is kept in a climate controlled compartment and in a heated/cooled warehouse while it is waiting.

Just my $0.02.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
CJBianco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Needless to say there are a lot of people there, including the staff and other business owners, who would not want a box that says "Live Harmless Reptiles" all over it delivered there...
Just a quick side note...

A vague package label such as the above "LIVE HARMLESS REPTILES" is a violation of the Lacey Act and could result in federal prosecution for both the shipper and the receiver. All packages must be clearly labeled with the following:

1. Scientific Name
2. Common Name
3. Quantity

I am sure you already know this, but others may not...

Chris

Old 06-13-2005, 09:15 PM   #8
Mike Greathouse
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, you need all of the above.

"Live Harmless Reptiles" must appear on every side of the package.
Then
You must list the Quantity, Taxonomic Name, and Common Name of all enclosed animals.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
CJBianco
True. You do need some sort of "LIVE ANIMAL" label on the package. However, the Lacey Act specifically addresses the wording "Live Harmless Animal (Reptile)" as a clear violation when used without the other three (3) labeling criteria. They see it as purposely being vague as to not arouse suspicion of the exact package contents.

And from what I hear...the penalties for violation are pretty severe.

Oh, well. No worries. I label everything.

Just in case...

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!