IMPULSE BUY ON FAUNA!? - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #61
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike554 View Post
That was made at 2:00 in the morning. If you still think straight at that time of night good for you.
Really?
If I didn't manage to think clearly at 02:00, I'd have left an impressive trail of bodies in my wake by now...
I will acknowledge that lack of sleep sometimes colors my judgement in certain areas (like moderating here)....but I simply abstain from clicking to submit - choosing to take a look later when I'm on a more even keel (often with a note to other moderators to take a look, if I don't think it should wait).

But if you're going to put on the pouty face, and whine But I was TIIIIIIIIIIIIRED, I think the simplest response is

Old 08-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #62
Shadera
Backpeddle, backpeddle, backpeddle.

Just man up, apologize to the poor lady for that crap you posted on her profile, and go on with life.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #63
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepLover1022 View Post
The puppy and kitty quote was to the fact that its a little easier to find homes for these animals and sometimes cheaper to maintain than a 15 ft python.
yes.. homes in the ground.. over 4 MILLION puppies and kitties are put down EVERY YEAR..

Puppies and kitties are far more over run then reptiles.. and shelters are turning them down left and right.. putting down babies right as they are born BECAUSE THEY CAN NOT RE-HOME THEM!!!

So please explain to me how it is easier for cats and dogs to get new homes?!?

I do get that more people LIKE cats and dogs.. but that does NOT make them easier to find homes for..

And VERY FEW snakes are going to cost more then a properly cared for cat or dog.. just one bag of dog food can be 70$.. unless you have a giant breed snake that needs a dang whole deer or something.. snake food isn't going to cost you that much..

Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #64
ShortStack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike554 View Post
I didn't even post it was in the chat room.
It doesn't matter when or where it was said, expect to be held accountable for something you say. I just don't think you expected someone to remember the boa incident, and your feelings are hurt that people are questioning you now.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #65
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tuniwha View Post
ok.. "not a puppy or a kitty".. just sounds ignorant..

reptiles require a LOT less hands on care/requirements etc..

Have you ever had a dog? A LOT more work, time, and knowledge goes into cats and dogs.. You ever had to take your snake out many many times a day to make sure it can pee outside? ever had to give it hours and hours of play time to keep it exercised? Keep it entertained so it does not destroy your house???

This point of yours is nonsense..

As for the situation.. Maybe she did not start going about it in the right way.. but she did not come one here saying she bought a boa, now what.. she said she was looking at such and such.. what do we thing.. which means people can give their opinions, and she can then do the proper research to care for something..

oh.. and ANYONE can accidentally kill an animal.. not just noobs. not to mention they can do tons of research and STILL get things wrong..

I myself have accidentally killed a snake. And I am by far not a n00b.

I am also finding out new tricks and ideas all the time, in dealing with reluctant eaters and such.

Owning reptiles is a constant learning experience.

I also have several cats, who are by far more expensive in their up keep than my snakes and dragons (except for the 60 baby dragons).

I used to have a dog, but when she died, we never got another one. I had thought about getting one a few years ago, till I kept a friends for a few months. I had forgotten how much attention dogs need.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #66
maggie22195
I just thought I would chime in...

My first snake was a ball python. Everybody had everything negative to say about them, they don't eat, they are mean and all that good, uh, i mean bad stuff. I went along and got one anyway. I was in 7th grade I think and I wouldn't hesitate to get another. I have since owned many other bp's and one red tail but just because you are new to the hobby doesn't mean you need to start with a corn or ball python. If you think you can handle it and know what to expect from the snake and situation then go for it! You can't compare a ball python to a GTP, retic, burm, or sand boa. Every snake is different and if you get a snake that doesn't interest you then what good is it? Just because you have a ball python doesn't mean you know what it takes to own a retic, GTP, burm, etc. You need to own that species to truly know what it's like to own and care for them. So I don't think it is right to classify any snake out of anybody's league... maybe a 3 year old having a retic is not the best thing. But if you have an older kid who knows right from wrong and has a little bit of coordination and self control and they are being supervised by a parent then why not jump into a great hobby that you can choose to continue with or choose to just have one snake and once it dies never own another? I just thought it made sense in my head. Hahaha but I have some crazy stuff runnin through that thing!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #67
Ana J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex G View Post
I saw this post as well, but you know what I did? Instead of assuming this lady was an idiot who was irresponsible with animals (which was the exact opposite impression I got from her), I sent her a gentle PM suggesting a corn snake as a first snake, citing their good tempers, their activity, and their ease of care. Then I linked her to Rich Z's cornsnake forum. I didn't bash her; I didn't even find anything wrong with her post, minus her desire to catch a wild rubber boa for him.
With the quote, the thing is, I own a Nile Monitor. He is my first ever monitor, I am very young, but he is healthy and very sweet. I did my research, and a lot of it, and worked and worked and worked unitl I got everything he needed, and I even came up with a few methods of my own for taming him. And he's as sweet as can be. So, what I'm saying is, if you do a *lot* of research, any reptile can be a good starter reptile with the exception of venomous snakes.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #68
Shocker95090
Who would even start a thread like this? Can't you see no1 is agreeing with you? Do us all a favor and remove this useless thread.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #69
millipede
Old thread, but I somewhat agree with the OP. Believe it or not, you can still have an opinion unlike the majority. I don't agree with impulse buys. I think it gives AR movements a lot of ammo against us if we have the attitude that it is OK to accept that a few animals must die before the keeper learns proper husbandry. I'm concerned about the incidences of iguanas with deformed spines and other incurable and debilitating conditions that ignorance can result in, which results in a lifetime of suffering for the animal if not relieved by death. If I were an animal seller, I would know that it's not possible to insure this won't be your pet's fate, but a seller should have enough emotional intelligence to attempt to discern decent animal keepers from those that aren't flexible enough to continue to research about their pet's needs even if they start off wrong. We all know the types. Some people just aren't pet keepers, period. I would make an attempt to try and guide buyers in the right direction.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #70
Metachrosis
Impulse buys are whats driven this hobby in the direction it has followed
the last 5-8 yrs.American history shows 10yrs to be the wall on trends and fads.
Mass followings declining currently are blamed on economics,truth is no different then
the fate of Beanie Babies, Sports Cards etc.

Major changes should be seen in the next 1-2 yrs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!