Petco throws a live iguana in the garbage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Bells
Petco throws a live iguana in the garbage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_p96...ature=youtu.be

Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Metachrosis
Looks like business as usual

Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
Looks like business as usual
If the lizard was found in the trash as described, that is a terrible thing to happen to a critter.
But to paint this event as 'business as usual' would be like someone saying that all reptile keepers are irresponsible when the news has a story about the carelessness of one.

I have a Petco in the next town over I visit occasionally, it is immaculate, the critters are always well fed and the cages clean, the staff helpful.
I am in no way condoning this incident, but I disagree with judging all Petco stores because of the behavior of one the same as I disagree with judging all reptile owners because of the behavior of one.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Skanakis
Could have been just one employee being a ----tard. A
Got a PETCO near me. Amazing employees except for one dummy. But he's OK too.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Fangthane
There's also the very real possibility that the video is entirely staged. Someone with an axe to grind against PetCo, just happens to have his video camera with him on the day that Petco throws away a perfectly good iguana...possible, but it seems awfully convenient to me. It seems like a good way for a dumpster diving reptile rescue to drum up some publicity and donations.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexPredatorBoids View Post
There's also the very real possibility that the video is entirely staged. Someone with an axe to grind against PetCo, just happens to have his video camera with him on the day that Petco throws away a perfectly good iguana...possible, but it seems awfully convenient to me. It seems like a good way for a dumpster diving reptile rescue to drum up some publicity and donations.
I think you may have a point. In the comments under the video, the video producer addresses a comment that says just this and says something about an email where Petco addresses the situation, I was not able to find that email and I cannot imagine a corporation such as Petco sending out such a letter or email. In addition, the video producer was so hostile to the question that I could well see how people might question whether this report is valid. He mentions something about a video camera next door but so far has offered no proof of a video record nor do I believe that he will be able to furnish one because the neighboring business is not obligated to provide such records to him.

I sent him a link to this thread, I'd be very interested to see if he might stop by and provide some more facts here.

Update: He quickly answered my email and told me he refused to participate on Fauna. He directed me to his Facebook page. I did read through but what he posted there did not convince me that it was actual proof, there are to headers to show that statements he attributes to Petco staff actually came from them.
https://www.facebook.com/ReptileRescue

Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Update: He quickly answered my email and told me he refused to participate on Fauna. He directed me to his Facebook page. I did read through but what he posted there did not convince me that it was actual proof, there are to headers to show that statements he attributes to Petco staff actually came from them.
https://www.facebook.com/ReptileRescue
I'd have to think that, on the average animal lover website, those of us who are inclined to call BS on him, would be a very small minority. Which makes me even more skeptical of someone who'd choose not to come here and join the discussion. It's hard not to think that the fact that he can control what's posted in FB and YouTube comments, plays pretty heavily into the reasoning behind his decision. It's alot easier to come out smelling like a rose when you can just delete anything that might cast you in a different light.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Lucille
Two more emails from him destroyed his credibility with me. In one, he told me to just email Petco myself, in the other he unleashed a flood of invective instead of simply providing the easy peazy proof I requested.
I've seen it too many times in the BOI, when someone starts cussin' and fussin', it usually means they are trying to get the other side to back off because if they lay their cards face up on the table as requested, instead of the advertised full house they got a bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexPredatorBoids View Post
I'd have to think that, on the average animal lover website, those of us who are inclined to call BS on him, would be a very small minority. Which makes me even more skeptical of someone who'd choose not to come here and join the discussion. It's hard not to think that the fact that he can control what's posted in FB and YouTube comments, plays pretty heavily into the reasoning behind his decision. It's alot easier to come out smelling like a rose when you can just delete anything that might cast you in a different light.
Exactly.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
JColt
I'd go with staged or employee put in there to pick up after work.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
Metachrosis
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
I'd go with staged or employee put in there to pick up after work.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!