QUESTIONS FOR THE FEMALE SNAKE-OWNERS - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #31
Mooing Tricycle
I love reading everyones answers. Its kinda cool that no two people really have the same story as to why they are breeding what, and the goals they want to attain Similar, but different.

Keep it up guys! You all rock!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #32
Shadera
Update on #9 - I've found a wonderful fellow lady BP keeper to take the collection if something happens to me. Giant weight off my shoulders, I know they'll be in wonderful hands.

10.Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?

I like ball pythons because of the number of morphs out there. And to think there's still more to be discovered and created! It's a bonus that they stay relatively small, are easy to care for, and have generally nice temperaments.

My goal is to produce quality morphs, not to just crank out substandard babies to make the most money I can. Brown pastels anyone? Not here. I've gotten the best breeding stock I've been able to get my hands on, and spend many hours a week caring for them. I do not work, so am able to devote everything to my collection. I'd be thrilled if I make enough money to keep them in feeders (ie, pay for rodent food), and continue upgrading their caging and care. I have no expectation of getting rich or making a living at this, just wanna have fun and make some amazing animals. Oh yeah, and making some awesome friends along the way would be great, too. It's always nice to be able to talk about interests with someone and not get either a blank stare or visible skin crawling.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #33
Abby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
I love reading everyones answers. Its kinda cool that no two people really have the same story as to why they are breeding what, and the goals they want to attain Similar, but different.

I agree! I enjoyed reading everyone's answers

Old 06-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #34
Crazy4Herps
Quote:
I'm hoping to add my first venomous snake soon, a rhino viper
Wow! Good luck! Rhinos are gorgeous!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #35
R. Eventide
1. What type of snake(s) do you own?

Ball pythons...with one lone Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?

I've always loved snakes. I used to catch garter and bull snakes around the yard when I was very young (6? 7?). I bought my first ball python because it seemed like a good beginner snake (and it wasn't a corn snake). I don't know why, but I've fallen in love with ball pythons. They're just...beautiful...lovely...creatures.

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)?
(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!)

Not really, though I have a friend who takes care of them when I am gone for long periods of time.

4. How tall are you?

5 ft 4 in. Short and stocky. :P

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?

Not really, though I'm not comfortable owning anything longer than a RTB.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?

Nope.

7. What is your age group?
15-25
26-40 <---
41-50

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??

I just told my parents about having eight snakes (they thought I only had one). Let's just say it didn't go over well. (Mom hates snakes with a fiery passion.) I think they'll still come to visit, though. I think.

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass

Yep. I have one friend whom I would trust with my entire collection.

Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?

They slithered their way into my heart! I can't really explain it any other way. I just adore ball pythons.

Only recently have I decided I want to breed them. I love all the colors and patterns they come in, and it would be great to make some on my own. My inital goal was to make a blue-eyed lucy (I LOVE white snakes!), but it's kind of exploded from there. I don't care so much about making money (I have a full-time job at the moment). My snakes are my children, and I love them all to pieces!

On a random note, I love telling people I have lots of snakes. It takes people completely off-guard (y'know, being a female and all). Bwah ha ha.

Oh, another random note: Hey, there, Crazy4Herps! I'm Eventide over at BeardedDragon.org!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #36
Twizted Paths
1. What type of snake(s) do you own?

Columbian boas (& 2 corns that are supposed to be my daughter's)

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?

I've always loved boas & there's so many different patterns & morphs now!

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)?

Nope.

4. How tall are you?

5'7 ish

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?

Nope

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?

Nope.

7. What is your age group?

30 in November

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??

Oh yeah, more than one. em. If you can't deal with what makes me happy and you want to try to make me feel like crap about it then you obviously don't belong in my life.

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass

My Bigger Little brother keeps what he wants, kid keeps what she wants, rest will be sold and proceeds go to her.

10. Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?

They're so beautiful,graceful,curious, each one is so unique. It's kind of a form of meditation watching them flow over & around stuff exploring everything, shimmering with that iridescence, each one subtlety different from the next.

All I initially wanted was a pet albino. Carl offered me a deal for an female anery with the albino male I wanted, then seeing the addicted gleam in my eye he started talking genetics which led to the I know a guy at the show where you can get an awesome Dh, which led to Special K and my Jungle which fed my growing obsession with aberrant patterns.....

My primary goal is to keep them all healthy and happy, secondary goal is to get my striped male to stop randomly striking me, and eventually to produce beautiful healthy animals and hopefully sell enough to pay for my collections food and housing .

Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #37
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs View Post
I have no expectation of getting rich or making a living at this, just wanna have fun and make some amazing animals. Oh yeah, and making some awesome friends along the way would be great, too. It's always nice to be able to talk about interests with someone and not get either a blank stare or visible skin crawling.

Or change the subject to clothes, diets, make up,or human babies.

Bag of Rat Pups = $55
Look on your friends face when they open your freezer = Priceless

Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #38
Tiger Lilly
She's right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post

It's awesome to see who's got what & why--we really are a diverse group!
I know there are more females on this forum alone, so spread the word and let's see how many more we can get to post.
WE ARE THE WOMEN OF THE REPTILE WORLD!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #39
Crazy4Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Eventide View Post
Oh, another random note: Hey, there, Crazy4Herps! I'm Eventide over at BeardedDragon.org!
Hi!! It's great to meet old friends in new places!

Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #40
Abby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Herps View Post
Wow! Good luck! Rhinos are gorgeous!
Thank you! That luck might come in handy, lol!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!