Stud BP terms - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
TampaBayBalls
Stud BP terms

So I'm looking for a stud BP, and I'm wondering what normal terms are. I have a 100% het for albino female and a huge normal male that I want to breed with a dom morph male. I was thinking of offering the stud male 1st and 3rd pic of the babies, but at least one breeder (with a pastel male) kind of laughed at that. What do you all think fair terms are? I would be handling all shipping, incubating, etc.
Mitchell
www.firehshaman.com

Old 03-29-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
LadyOhh
Mitchell,

Usually in breeder loans, the females go to the Morph owner. You would not get first pick, and it would go half and half if you were lucky...
Honestly, I know you have the best intentions, but you would have to send your girls, not the other way around. Good luck finding someone to take your deal.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
joepythons
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBayBalls
So I'm looking for a stud BP, and I'm wondering what normal terms are. I have a 100% het for albino female and a huge normal male that I want to breed with a dom morph male. I was thinking of offering the stud male 1st and 3rd pic of the babies, but at least one breeder (with a pastel male) kind of laughed at that. What do you all think fair terms are? I would be handling all shipping, incubating, etc.
Mitchell
www.firehshaman.com
Why dont you just buy a 100% het albino male and breed your female yourself.Males run around a $100 or so and you keep 100% of whatever you produce.I also do not think anyone is going to send you there morph males to breed to your female.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
TampaBayBalls
I was going to send the females, and I was going to offer the owner of the male 1st and 3rd choice (plus half and half on the rest, I really just want the second choice). I have a het for albino male, I just want to breed to an albino male to increse my odds, plus for my normal female I'd really like a pastel or spider male, and I can't afford a breeding size male.
M

Old 03-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
joepythons
Thumbs up post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBayBalls
I was going to send the females, and I was going to offer the owner of the male 1st and 3rd choice (plus half and half on the rest, I really just want the second choice). I have a het for albino male, I just want to breed to an albino male to increse my odds, plus for my normal female I'd really like a pastel or spider male, and I can't afford a breeding size male.
M
In your first post you said you would be doing everything(incubating ,breeding etc).Right now i do not think anyone is going to take on any more females to breed as for most the breeding season is almost done.I have a pastel male that hatched out 6-12 2005 and he bred two females for me at 500 grams(the male).If you have a male het albino why split the profits with someone else? I am not sure how much differance the odds would be breeding the het female to a albino compared to your het male.I hope you understand where i am coming from.Good luck to you

Old 03-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
TampaBayBalls
The odds would double if I breed to an albino male as opposed to my het. Plus none of the kids would be possible hets, they would all be 100%

Old 03-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
joepythons
i understand

I see now .I understand the genetics of ball pythons but still kinda iffy on breeding percentages .

Old 03-31-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
LadyOhh
Mitchell,

Like I said before, it is mainly a trust issue, and with expensive snakes, most people aren't willing to trust strangers. Just save up and try and buy one if you can, it's easier than convincing someone that you aren't out to steal anything from them.

This buisness is a very dangerous one, and tons of people are pessimistic about the intentions of others when it comes to their stock. Hopefully, for your sake, I hope you can find someone, but don't keep your hopes up.

Good luck, and I wish you the best!

Old 04-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
tstrenuous10
unless you can drive and meet them. if i had something besides a normal ball i would drive down to reno and drop the snake off at your house so i know where to pick it up from. that seems to be the ONLY safe way to do things.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
CornNut
What's a fair split is not well defined in the snake industry.

Your het female to someone else's homozygous recessive male is particularly difficult.

If you keep her at home and use your het male you will on average get 25% of a clutch of albinos and 75% of a clutch of 66% possible hets.

If you loan her out to an albino male she will on average produce 50% albinos and 50% for sure hets.

The problem is that looking at it from your side you need half the clutch just to break even. Half of a 50% chance albino clutch is 25% of a clutch of albinos and is the same as if you kept her at home and bred to your het male. In fact it's worse if you get 2nd alternating pick because on average half the time there will be an odd number of albinos so you are giving half an albino up on average.

Where it might be better is on the non-albinos but even that is complicated. Without the loan your het X het breeding would net you 75% of a clutch of 66% hets. That comes out to 50% of a clutch of hets but the problem is that you don't know which ones they are.

With the loan to the albino male and a 50/50 split you would still be looking at 50% of a clutch of hets but again, if you get 2nd pick on average you would be giving up half a het due to the possibility of an odd number. But at least you wouldn't have the 25% of a clutch of non-hets mixed in.

So, I think when considering loaning out your het female to a homozygous male when you already have a het male is barely getting to the possible break even point at a 50/50 split. And, as already mentioned you would likely need to send your female and the breeder should probably get first pick due to the work of breeding and incubation. If you haven't done much of this that could be a good reason to do the loan as well as the chance to outbreed and the avoidance of possible hets. On the down side I'm not sure that moving a female to a new collection right before breeding season doesn't hurt her chances of producing anything and of course there are risks of pathogen transmittal on both sides. That all said, I have done and plan to continue to do a lot of breeding loans, it's just hard to decide what's fair for split.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!