SS Exotic Animals-- Deal with them and lose your money! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
JeffNichols
SS Exotic Animals-- Deal with them and lose your money!

I received a snake dead on arrival from SS exotic animals on February 6th. I was never informed how SS exotic animals was going to ship the snake until after it had already been shipped. DHL, the company they used, prohibits the shipping of snakes and does not guarantee live arrival on the few animals that it does allow. Why would anyone ship live animals under these circumstances?

The humane society is going to love this. I told Suzette the temperature here in NY would be 43 degrees the night she shipped; she said it would be fine. The snake was packed in a cardboard box-- inadequate for winter shipping. She placed two large heat packs directly under the snake within a small box. This is probably what killed the snake. They should be taped to the inside of the cover. Moreover, the poor quality heat packs were already cold on arrival. Suzette never returned e-mails on the 6th, 7th, or 8th (at least 6 phone calls and she was never available). When I finally got her on the night of 2/8, she claimed to have told me that there was no guarantee-- this is a lie. Anyone could ship dead snakes.

I tried speaking to her like a gentleman, and she called me stupid, Dude, and a girl. She hung up on me 3 times. I had opened the box in front of DHL's Driver, Ralph Rodriquez (rt 802), and he witnessed that the snake was dead on arrival. Suzette chose to take no insurance. She does not care about the animals or the customers; she does not belong in this business.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
jnjreptile
I would make a complaint to kingsnake or wherever you saw her add and bought the snake from, but the Humane society would not be a good idea They are already against keeping reptiles, so it would just fuel there fire against us, so no reason to give the enemy any help.

You can also try to contact your credit card company if you paid by c.c.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNichols
I was never informed how SS exotic animals was going to ship the snake until after it had already been shipped. DHL, the company they used, prohibits the shipping of snakes and does not guarantee live arrival on the few animals that it does allow. Why would anyone ship live animals under these circumstances?
Not that any of this excuses any of their behavior in the least, but....I ALWAYS ask how the animal is going to be shipped before making any purchase. If it is an unacceptable carrier, I decline the purchase. And.....NONE of the major carriers guarantee nor insure live reptiles. So....your choices are pretty limited.

And as JnJ said....the Humane Society won't do anything to the shippers, but will create a lot more negative press for us reptile keepers. It could very well create much more problems than it would be worth even bringing them in on it.

Was the cardboard box she shipped in completely uninsulated?

Old 02-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
LauraB
S & S guarantees

Excerpts from their site:

http://www.sandsexoticanimals.com/order/guarantee.html

Our guarantee policy for animals you purchase at our store is the following:
We do not offer any type of guarantee on our animals. We are confident that our animals are healthy.

Once you walk out the door of our store with your animal, you assume full responsibility for it. We do not offer refunds, returns or exchanges.

Our guarantee policy for animals you purchase and have shipped to you is the following:
We offer a live arrival guarantee only on animals sent airport to airport (Delta or Continental).
We do not offer live arrival on shipments sent via DHL, Federal Express or UPS.

Wow, they really stand behind their stock! A guarantee of no guarantees. Looks like you are definitely SOL Jeff.
And I have to agree with Cat; never, ever make a deal until you know what shipper a seller will use and how they will pack.
Did you take photos of the dead snake in the box upon arrival?

~ Laura Bolt

Old 02-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Our guarantee policy for animals you purchase and have shipped to you is the following:
We offer a live arrival guarantee only on animals sent airport to airport (Delta or Continental).
We do not offer live arrival on shipments sent via DHL, Federal Express or UPS.
I'm not sure how that differs from those that state "not responsible for carrier delays"; and I would say that it's the majority. As far as involving the Humane Society...big No No!

Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
ravensgait
Have you sent them an email letting them know about this thread??

I've done business with them in the past but only in their store never had them ship. I was satisfied with how things went but have to say that not guaranteeing live arrival and shipping without using an insulated box is just piss poor service. Randy

Old 02-10-2008, 02:20 AM   #7
LauraB
Quote:
I'm not sure how that differs from those that state "not responsible for carrier delays"; and I would say that it's the majority
I suppose it differs only because most of the sellers I have dealt with do offer a live arrival guarantee with the stipulation that 1) someone must be present to sign for and accept a delivery and 2) the seller is not held responsible for shipper delays.
Naturally, if either one or both of those conditions exist, the TOS or guarantee of the seller is null and void, as it rightfully should be.
In this case, there has been no mention of either shipper delay or an unsuccessful first delivery attempt. The snake simply arrived dead, according to the OP. I do however, realize there may be more to the story than what is posted.

That said, there appears to me to be no clause in S & S Exotics TOS or guarantee policy that would allow the OP to either recup his money or receive a replacement animal. Perhaps I'm missing something....

~ Laura Bolt

Old 02-10-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
ravensgait
Well it might be interesting to look at the state laws involved .. Could be one of those states where the buyer must get what they paid for reguarless of any TOS of the seller.. Randy

Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
PaulYancick
S & S guarantees ?While I'm sorry for your loss that guarantee is by far the worst Ive ever seen posted.That snake could have been shipped dead and they would get away with it.Always ask questions and if you feel uncomfortable with the deal back out politely.
S&S I dont see much of a future for you guys.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB
I suppose it differs only because most of the sellers I have dealt with do offer a live arrival guarantee with the stipulation that 1) someone must be present to sign for and accept a delivery and 2) the seller is not held responsible for shipper delays.
Naturally, if either one or both of those conditions exist, the TOS or guarantee of the seller is null and void, as it rightfully should be.
In this case, there has been no mention of either shipper delay or an unsuccessful first delivery attempt. The snake simply arrived dead, according to the OP. I do however, realize there may be more to the story than what is posted.

That said, there appears to me to be no clause in S & S Exotics TOS or guarantee policy that would allow the OP to either recup his money or receive a replacement animal. Perhaps I'm missing something....

~ Laura Bolt
Laura,

So to make my point clear, I'm not in agreement with those that say they are "not responsible for carrier delays". You are supposed to deliver a live and healthy animal regardless. That's what the buyer paid for. If the carrier makes a mistake that's part of the seller's risk, and should not be transferred to the buyer. A different story is if the buyer is not there to sign for or receive the package, then that's entirely the buyer's fault.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!