Red Ear Slider - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 06-19-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Hognose_311
Question Red Ear Slider

My red ear slider has like a furry dead skin type stuff on his skin hanging off, there's nothing wrong, but he is a little snappy, and i want to know if i should remove it, thank you.

Old 06-20-2004, 07:03 PM   #2
Glenn Bartley
Sounds as if it could be different things, but mostly sounds like a fungal or other type of skin infection to me. Only a guess without seeing the turtle. If it is skin sloughing off that is infected, pulling it off may make the area where it is still connected worse. Sounds like it may need a trip to a knowledgeable turtle person or to a vet.
If someone in the know tells you it is a fungal infection, there are dips and baths that can be used to help rid the turtle of it, but use only something made for a water turtle or that you are certain will be tolerated by a turtle.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
41mag
What color is it?Is it white & fuzzy?Is it green like algae?Or is it actual skin?If you try to remove it(assuming its not the green/algae stuff)does it reveal red or pinkish flesh?

Old 06-24-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
turtlepimp
It sounds like junior isn't spending much time on the basking platform.Sounds a little heavy for a normal shed.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:16 PM   #5
Hognose_311
It looks like............

just normal dead skin, but it wont come off by itself, i dont want to remove it manually because im still not sure what it is, but it looks as if a human had sunburn and dead skin was coming off, but its been there for a while now.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:43 AM   #6
turtleluver
no no no

don't pull it off. it sounds like a fungus to me. it would be best for you and him to take a visit to the veterinarian. if you pull it off it may become infected and REALLY be a seriouse problem that may require a heavey sum of money to fix. Just ask your vet. Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!