My Cribo.... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
Weekendherper
About 9 months ago I purchased a "blacktail" cribo as a hatchling. Within 6 months his tail had faded to the point where you almost cannot distinguish it from his body. I was pleasantly suprised that it turned out to be a unicolor.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #12
thesnakeman
That's disturbing. We need to be very careful what we breed to what.
T.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
epidemic
Generally, by the time they are breeding size, their coloration gives them away, as both spp. normally begin life with black tails. However, a few appear to fall somewhere in between..

Jeff

Old 11-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #14
thesnakeman
Yes but what I'm saying is that it appears to me that Rob purchased what he believed to be a hatchling black tail which later turned out to be a unicolor. That tells me that either the breeder did not know what he had for parent animals, or he lied. Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible. Question,...Is it possible for two true blacktail adults to breed and produce a hatchling unicolor? Either way, we need to pay better attention to what we are breeding to what.
T.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #15
Weekendherper
I should mention that I didn't purchase him from a breeder, but a local shop in RI that told me he was captive hatched. No need to worry that a breeder misrepresented him.

As I mentioned, I was quite happy with the outcome considering I paid next to nothing for a unicolor. I just wished I had purchased the other one they had at the same time.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #16
thesnakeman
Captive hatched by who?

Old 11-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #17
BWSmith
If it was from a pet shop, it is likely impossible find a record.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #18
thesnakeman
I would think that pet shop would know who they got it from.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:59 AM   #19
BWSmith
"Captive Bred" does not mean that they got it from the breeder. They probably got it from a jobber or dealer. 99% of pet shop herps are "ananonymous". Even if they could track down the dealer/jobber, chances are that they would not know who bred it. And of course, it is not uncommon for someone to by a snake, decide to get rid of it, and take it to the local pet shop. Even if the pet shop DID care, most likely the conversation would go something like "Will you buy this captive bred Cribo?", "Sure, where did you get it", "Some herp show". End of conversation. While sometimes it is possible to track lineages from pet shop snakes, it is certainly not common.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!